Bowl Back Ukuleles - a comparison

bazmaz

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the Flight. Certainly the loudest if nothing else. ymmv

Thanks for posting. I’ve been meaning to give this comparison a listen. To my ears, the Flight hands down sounded the best and most in tune. Next, the flea and finally, the Ovation. Inverse relationship to price. Interesting. I’ve been wanting to get a flight travel probably TUSL long neck but kinda hoping they do a long neck concert or better yet a tenor.

I own a Fluke, tenor with poly keyboard. It’s gotten much better sounding over time. I replaced the friction tuners with pegheds and that was big improvement for the enjoyment of playing the Uke. I will change the poly fretboard to wood just cause it a nice Uke to pick up and have sitting around. I like it. For the cost though, I’d get the flight travel TUSL any day. IMHO, if you like Fluke/ Flea and so many do buy the wooden fretboard and peghed tuners. Otherwise, just need an inexpensive pick me up Uke, buy the Flight!

Very helpful comparison. Thank you.!

Thanks for the comparison video.

I do think this Flight edges out the Flea by just a little bit. The Flea was slightly nicer finger picking.

I wonder how the shape and volume of the body effect the sound projected? Each instrument is slightly different in shape and volume of the body. The Flight and Ovation seem to be more similar is shape.

I've been happy with my Fluke these past five years. I did get most of the upgrades with spruce top, wood fretboard, and the geared peg head tuners. It's been a fun and durable instrument to play.

Had an Ovation once upon a time. Gave it away to a friend’s son who was traveling. Have a Koa top Flea (given to me by my wife as a Christmas gift) that I like and use as a travel uke. Will need to check out the Fligt line.

Had an Ovation once upon a time. Gave it away to a friend’s son who was traveling. Have a Koa top Flea (given to me by my wife as a Christmas gift) that I like and use as a travel uke. Will need to check out the Fligt line.

The Flights are not as serious an instrument as Flukes and Fleas, but..... their low price means they are almost an impulse purchase that you wouldn't worry about - sound damn good too!

Anyone tried the Ohana baritone with a bowl back? Its got a solid Spruce top and seems pretty nice. Just curious . . .

Top Bottom