Typical Problem

Jerryc41

Reaction score
This is the story of my life. I lose things and have to buy replacements. I'm finishing up a uke, and I want to make a bridge, something I've never done. I have a router attachment for my Dremel, and I planned to use that to cut the groove for the saddle. But where is my Dremel?

I have a Blackhawk rotary tool and a Dremel cordless, but this attachment wants a regular Dremel. In the past, I wound up buying a replacement and then finding the missing one. I'll look for another day, and then I'll use my smallish Bosch router. With any luck, I'll have the uke finished this week.

I think a good portion of my building time is searching for a tool, a completed piece, or that part I just dropped

That Dremel router attachment won't do the job, so I'm just going to cut the groove with the table saw.

check out the cut groove on a test piece you may have to go with a rip rather than a cross cut for a narrower groove. You probably know this already so carry on.

check out the cut groove on a test piece you may have to go with a rip rather than a cross cut for a narrower groove. You probably know this already so carry on.

I bought a set of small router bits for the Dremel, but the one that would cut a channel is just too narrow, and I don't like the feel of the Dremel for routing. I used the table saw to cut a channel.

I use three hacksaw blades taped together to make a 1/8 inch/3.2mm slot. I establish the front edge/position using a tenon saw then I cut to width with the three hacksaw blades in my hacksaw frame, starting at a slight angle and straightening to vertical.

I use three hacksaw blades taped together to make a 1/8 inch/3.2mm slot. I establish the front edge/position using a tenon saw then I cut to width with the three hacksaw blades in my hacksaw frame, starting at a slight angle and straightening to vertical.

Sounds good.

If it makes you feel any better, I just recently found a Dremel I last remember seeing in the early 90's. :D It still works!

In about 1970, I installed new rear shocks on my car, and I used ViceGrips to hold something in place. Several months later, I was looking under the car, and there were the ViceGrips! I bought that pair in about 1958, and I still use them.

Top Bottom