Concert ukulele that does not require a humidifier

toomanycats

Reaction score
My 16 year old daughter had a beginner Kala concert ukulele that she loved and played frequently for about a year until it met its demise thanks to a dropped skateboard.

I would like to replace it for Christmas, but would like to get her something a little nicer than what she had. However, I don't want to worry about it cracking/breaking due to temp/humidity fluctuations (we are in the midwest). She has other guitars hanging on the wall on hooks, so I'm guessing would add the ukulele.

Any suggestions for materials? I originally wanted to go solid wood, but am now wondering if that's a bad idea.

Thank you for any advice!

I gave Enya Nova U concert ukuleles to grandkids last year. They are still in great shape. They are a composite carbon uke.

I'll second Laura. The Enya Nova concert will also be on special Cyber Monday offer on Amazon in about 5 hours or so, if you happen to be in the USA. In the UK the sale is already on (20% off).

Do you know what was the model of her previous Kala ukulele?
What is your price range?
What kind of sound is she looking for?

Common solid top tone woods are Koa, Cedar, Mahogany, and Spruce. Just like guitars, each gives different different tone.

tonewood-Kala.jpg

If she likes cedar, then check out Kala KA-ACP-CTG around $200 (currently on sale at Kala Music with their Cyber Monday 20% off). I have owned this model and highly recommend it; I don't think you can get much better in terms of quality for the price. Here's a review:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?105526

The entire Kala Cedar/Acacia model line: KA-ACP-CTG, KA-ATP-CTG are very well received here on Ukulele Underground.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I don't know what she had - it has since been painted, decorated and given away as a gift! I know it wasn't expensive, maybe $50-$70?

I was thinking under $200.

Thank you, I will take a look at that one you linked!

A composite uke is easily the best choice from a temperature/humidity stability standpoint.

Barring that, stay away from solid wood tops. I'm sure some will balk at that recommendation, since the mantra is "solid wood is better," but a solid wood top is typically more sensitive to environmental damage than a laminate top, and in your $200 price range you'd be hard pressed to find a really good solid wood uke anyways. A good laminate instrument will shrug off humidity changes that could split a solid wood instrument.

I'd talk to Mim at Mim's ukes. https://mimsukes.com/

She has a number of ukes in that price range and she'll do a setup on it to make sure the frets are level and the strings are at an optimum height for ease of play.

UkeRepublic is another good source. If you buy from Amazon, they just ship the box. No setup or even a check to see if it's made properly.

I have a solid wood kala tenor that was pretty expensive and is beautiful and has great sound. I have an Enya nova concert and it is the one I reach for most days. It comes with a good case, capo, strap, and an extra set of strings. $90 and free shipping. 7 colors. It is available with acoustic plus pickup for $189.

Are the guitars solid wood? If they survive, the ukulele should survive too. It would also be a good idea to buy a hygrometer to test the humidity in your house. They are only a few dollars online.

I'm going to contradict the general timber of this thread. I live in an area with about 10% humidity. I leave my solid uke out sometimes for an entire week. My secret? A humidifier in the ukulele's case in which the ukulele is stored most of the time. It really isn't complicated or onerous. I use an Oasis humidifer. You fill it up when necessary, stick it in the soundhole when putting the uke away, take it out when you pull the uke out. I think most teenagers can handle that.

Top Bottom