Desperately seeking Cuban

Tukanu

Handmade 2B Hand Played
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for soundboard Cuban mahogany to go with a back and side set that I have. It would be nice if it were from Hawaii, but I'll take what I can get.
Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance.
David

Wouldn't that be Hawaiian mahogany rather than Cuban?

I recently purchase the back and side set from Hawaii...the same genus as the mahogany originally found in the Caribbean. Could be that it also goes by the name Hawaiian Mahogany...I dont really know.

"Cuban Mahogany (Swietenia mahagoni), Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) and the commercially unimportant Mexican Mahogany (Swietenia humilis) are the only true members of the mahogany genus."

Cuban Mahogany is a specific species regardless of where it grows. It's export out of Cuba has been limited or nonexistent for decades, so if you can actually get it as lumber these days it has almost certainly been grown elsewhere.

Personally, my favorite source is reclaimed furniture or millwork from old houses. Check your local thrift stores or recycled building materials stores, you may luck out and find a lifetime supply for pennies on the dollar.

Personally, my favorite source is reclaimed furniture or millwork from old houses. Check your local thrift stores or recycled building materials stores, you may luck out and find a lifetime supply for pennies on the dollar.

Great advice. Don't forget old wooden boats from the 40's and 50's where they used the stuff like there would no end of supply. We know how that worked out.

I understand how you might want to be purist and match the top to the sides and back, but for my money, a nice piece of Honduran mahogany will look almost as good and produce the same sound for a fraction the cost or hassle of tracking down the "real" stuff.

Thank you, I appreciate the suggestions. And yes, my preference would be to match the top.
I guess Mr. Timms has had an undue influence on me :)
I am hoping someone might have a reasonably priced piece they would part with.

It might help if you have a picture of the set you want to match it to. Not all Cuban is the same colour etc, then people might be able to suggest options. I know of.places in the UK that have Cuban available, might be a bit far that.

We have quite a bit of Cuban mahogany here in Hawaii. "Hawaiian Mahogany" is a term that was used for koa in the early years. I don't have any orphan tops, or I'd offer them. In fact you might have bought that T/B/S set from me.-Bob

Thanks Bob,
Yes, I think I got your last set, but it didn't have a top. I was hoping I could "stretch" the back enough for a top, but no luck. I have a nice piece of torrefied red spruce that will probably work really well, but I am still hoping to score a top piece.

Last edited:
I would scour facebook. There were some blow downs in South Florida about a year and a half ago and there were lots of folks trying to sell timber from those trees. I suspect it is out there somewhere to be found.

I would scour facebook. There were some blow downs in South Florida about a year and a half ago and there were lots of folks trying to sell timber from those trees. I suspect it is out there somewhere to be found.

Thanks, I didnt know you could search Facebook like that.

Thanks, I didnt know you could search Facebook like that.

There is a group called luthier classifieds. I'd start there. Also... see if Brad Goodman is in there. I have bought Cuban from him in the (far distant) past, but he is usually someone with the finger on the pulse of that wood.

Got a nice slab of Cuban from Woodshop 102. Enough for several builds. Check them out on the web.

Looking forward to seeing it. I saw their site and it looked promising

Top Bottom