Upgrade my soprano....or not?

Good recovery!

To me it would be an easy, simple choice: the old Martin will be different from anything else (save for the already mentioned high-end, but also similarly priced Timms and Kiwaya copies). They feel lighter, and sound brighter, especially in real life. There is difference between specimens, and the prewar ones are usually better, but the old Martin factory was remarkably consistent - in contrast to Gibson, whose ukuleles sound all over the place.

Do avoid the modern Martins. They're not bad, but they're just not the same.

As for cracks or slipping tuners or other flaws, those are not big issues. If you're looking for a player rather than a mint collectable, it might even significantly reduce the price and make a repair job fall into your overall budget.

I think with a little searching, you might find one within your means - probably an style 0 or 1 though.

Finding a competent luthier to do any repairs where I live is probably not in the cards.

Finding a competent luthier to do any repairs where I live is probably not in the cards.

That's one thing you need to consider with a vintage instrument unless you're buying from a very reputable dealer.

About a year ago I visited the States and bought myself the vintage Martin I now have from what I thought was a reputable dealer. On arrival, the uke immediately needed fret work. Once I brought it to my local luthier, it turned out one of the braces was almost completely loose as well. Unless you're 100% sure your getting a playable vintage instrument, I would rather look at new ones.

I spent some quality time with the KA-15-S today. It's laminated and cheap. It also sounds good and is easy to play.

After hours of internet drooling I've decided to keep the KALA and not buy anything new at this time.

My new Vorson solid body electric tenor should be arriving soon so I'll have that to get to know.

Thanks to all for your replies and ideas. If I were buying now I probably would have gone with the Rebel Creme Brulee.

If you want vintage Martin sound, get a vintage Martin or a Ken Timms.
There are builders who have a more modern sound.. sopranos don’t need to just sound like vintage Martin’s.
Kamaka pineapple sopranos are very distinct and a joy as well. A flea soprano can be a blast too..

My KALA KA-15S served as my intro to ukes to see if it would stick (it did) without a large investment ($55 with gig bag).

I know what great guitars Martin makes (I own 2) and have heard lots of good things about their ukes. So I think about getting a vintage Martin 0 or a new S1. Or maybe another brand like a REBEL or even a solid mahogany Ohana.

Then I watched a youtube video comparing a $5000 vintage Martin and a $50 MAKALA. I actually liked the sound of the cheapo uke better than the Martin.

Now I know that a YT video listened to on a laptop is not the same as "live" but it makes me wonder if I should just be content with the KALA.

If I upgrade, my budget is $700 max and actually $500 would be better.

Your opinion on should I upgrade....or not.
Try them out in person.. the feel in person is very different than recordings.

I spent some quality time with the KA-15-S today. It's laminated and cheap. It also sounds good and is easy to play.

After hours of internet drooling I've decided to keep the KALA and not buy anything new at this time.

My new Vorson solid body electric tenor should be arriving soon so I'll have that to get to know.

Thanks to all for your replies and ideas. If I were buying now I probably would have gone with the Rebel Creme Brulee.

IMHO your intended course of action (delay) is logical. Given a good set-up and decent strings that KA-15S may well serve you well for some time. Of course there are better instruments out there and an all solid Ohana isn’t a dreadfully expensive stepping stone towards higher end instruments. However, depending on what you use it for, the Kala might well suit your Soprano scale needs for a long time to come.

When you come to buy a pricey Soprano then I suggest that you might get more pleasure from a full body depth instrument and maybe one with fifteen frets. IMHO the Ohana’s are worth looking, try you tube and the videos by the ‘Headless Ukulele Player’.

Last edited:
MJB: good decision.

I teach uke and have set up several hundred KA-15s. Not a few of these sound truly superlative! Some of them I've wanted to keep for myself.

At the end of the day, it's the SOUND that MATTERS. It doesn't matter what the price was.

My chief soprano is a Mainland. I have a Kiwaya and Koaloha, but I like the Mainland better. In sorting through things, I bought and then returned a new Martin: the Mainland sounded as good or perhaps a tad better and felt better holding it. I've got the bucks to buy an expensive uke, but my Mainland REALLY FITS THE BILL. The SOUND works.

And perhaps another good thing: a less expensive uke means you'll cry less when it picks up a scratch. You'll feel much more comfortable carting it around here and there. I recently bought a new watch. Since I barge around a lot, while I could afford a sub-$1000 watch, I went with something around $300. I'll cry less when the crystal picks up a scratch and I feel freedom to move.

Folks at UU are always enablers when it comes to buying ukes. But that can become a slippery slope, expensive buy-it, try-it, sell-it hobby.

Top Bottom