Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dot positions, why 3, 5, 7 and 10?

Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post
    My Martin guitars have dots at 5,7,9,12,15 so maybe there's a correlation there. I would prefer my ukes have dots at 9 instead of 10 probably because I'm used to that on guitar.

Also, I don't care about fretboard markers as I only use the side markers.
    Fretboard markers actually annoy me. I can't see them, so why are they even there? When I bespoke my custom uke, the luthier understood my viewpoint but the guy who made my cigar box guitar seemed to give me a bit of static about my antipathy towards fretboard markers

I can still see the markers if I look, but Side dots are easier to see. I really don't care for the decoration of markers at all either. I prefer the 10th fret side dots to the 9th fret because it is very rare for me to hit the A and E chords as opposed to the Bb and F chords, which I hit all the time. And I am used to the 10th fret marker from my banjo.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    Fretboard markers actually annoy me. I can't see them, so why are they even there?
    More extremely, they tend to draw my eye to the fretboard and encourage me to roll the uke up so I can see 'em. I don't have a uke with out dots, but next time I make a fretboard I'm going to leave them off the front and only place side-dots and a decorative inlay at the 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Early Martins were 5, 7 & 9. That was odd.

Attachment 130977
    I see what you did there!
    Flea with Custom Rosemaling | Kala Spruce Top Spalted Maple Body Tenor with Low G | Lanikai LU-21 Mahogany Soprano | LoPrinzi Mahogany Concert | Mainland Mahogany Slotted Headstock Tenor with High G | Mainland Mahogany Concert Banjo-uke | Mainland Mango Pineapple | Makala Black Dolphin | Makala Sea Foam Green Shark | 1950's Martin Style 1 | Enya Camp Uke | 1920's Banjo Uke

I use the side dots at frets 7 and 12. I don’t see much point in additional dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    More extremely, they tend to draw my eye to the fretboard and encourage me to roll the uke up so I can see 'em. I don't have a uke with out dots, but next time I make a fretboard I'm going to leave them off the front and only place side-dots and a decorative inlay at the 12.
    My J. Rieck Lutherie tenor uke has side dots only with a decorative inlay at the 12th feet. It’s an elegant look.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Playing the guitar the fretboard markers are pretty significant, on the ukulele not so much, although they do help orient myself to some extent, but I don't refer to them much on the uke. I would not want to go without though. Agreed on the side markers, they are much more useful. One thing, the markers make it easier for me to see what other people are doing when I see something interesting that someone is doing in a video.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thread Information