Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little about the ukulele you play most often and a picture

Default A little about the ukulele you play most often and a picture

The ukulele I play most often is my Kamaka HF-1 soprano ukulele; it is also my favorite ukulele.

Besides being a well-made instrument with excellent intonation and excellent playability, it is its tonal quality that really draws me in.

I like its clear-sounding strings where each note is given an equal presence. My favorite is the tone's balance of just the right amount of brightness and warmth, without much tonal change up and down the fretboard, so I'm happy with the sound anywhere I play.

While many people keep a beater ukulele around, this Kamaka is my beater ukulele. It is the only ukulele I normally play, so it is really my everything ukulele.

what_i_play.JPG

I don't play my ukes a lot these days, but my favourites have always been 'long necks', both soprano & concert bodied.

My goto uke was always my Kala KA-SLNG, always picked it up to try things out, then I would choose the best uke for the tune from my collection.

My best uke is a tenor neck concert bodied KoAloha Opio solid acacia, with Living Water fluorocarbon low G strings.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

42235715_1870024039754585_6308754487590780928_o.jpg2019-06-05-034452.jpg

Those are a few shots of my favorite uke. I have kept only one other, a long neck Kamaka tenor

IMG_0550.jpg

and even that one trails a very distant second to my Yorkie.

I like it because it is a custom ukulele and I bespoke all its features. So it is everything I want. It has a unique voice and it has side dots (no fret markers) on 3, 5, 7 10, 12, 15, 17, and 19.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    42235715_1870024039754585_6308754487590780928_o.jpg2019-06-05-034452.jpg

Those are a few shots of my favorite uke. I have kept only one other, a long neck Kamaka tenor

IMG_0550.jpg

and even that one trails a very distant second to my Yorkie.

I like it because it is a custom ukulele and I bespoke all its features. So it is everything I want. It has a unique voice and it has side dots (no fret markers) on 3, 5, 7 10, 12, 15, 17, and 19.
    Is that sycamore?
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymic’s Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Oh I forgot to mention. It is London Plane with a walnut neck and laburnum fretboard and bridge

Joe Zier tenor - Madagascar rosewood sides, back, bridge and board, curly koa binding, mahogany/maple neck with lattice bracing on the cedar soundboard. No front soundhole, but a bass side sound port. It has a Misi pickup and linear tuning with Worth browns (The first string has been replaced with an Aquila).

JZ front.jpg JZ back.jpg JZ Hole.jpg JZ Uke hedstock.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Yates; 12-01-2020 at 06:03 PM.

This was my first custom, a LfdM tenor. It has Sitka spruce top with Amazon rosewood back and side. Includes a radius fretboard, side sound port, cutaway and Laskin armrest. It is made in the maccafari jazz guitar style, the rosette is splatted maple.

This does everything I want from an ease of playability, comfort and tone. It is rich, complex, resonant and has great projection. I could sell everything else and be happy with just this, but I won’t
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 12-02-2020 at 03:30 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I love all my ukuleles. They each have a special quality, and a special place in my musical life. However, I must say that I reach for and play my Cocobolo concert the most these days. It looks beautiful, it sounds beautiful, and it's so comfortable to play.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

For a few years my go to uke was a Kala KAATP-CTG-CE, solid cedar top, acacia koa body ($379). Then last year I bought a Lanikai Thinline Bocote FBCET-T A/E that was very comfortable to play and rather durable ($359). But then early this year I saw an Aklot all bamboo tenor cutaway that I now also use as a beater, to which I added a black nut and saddle, black fret markers, black and gold strap buttons to match the tuners, black strap and black strings with black end beads ($110).

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    Oh I forgot to mention. It is London Plane with a walnut neck and laburnum fretboard and bridge
    So, a hybrid sycamore - cool! Very distinctive grain.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymic’s Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Thread Information