"How to Build a Guitar" - Martin

I like that step #20, stringing. If I string very many guitars, will I develop big muscles too ?

It's a little staggering that Martin has such a high level of automation (CNC necks! Laser cut soundboards!), yet there is a photo of a person using a chisel, freehand, to carve the braces.

I think for high-end guitars, the bracing has to be matched per-instrument to get the right sound. So, this is an area that's very hard to automate. BTW, if I had to guess, I'd think the PLEK machine step is their more recent addition.

Indeed - but I think there's a strong argument that many other steps which can potentially influence the sound are automated at Martin (soundboard thicknessing, cutting the brace stock, etc). And - there are other high-end brands that pre cut bracework, yet aren't automating other things that Martin automates. The black art of tuning a soundboard as you carve the braces isn't really that black when you look at what it boils down to.

At the end of the day, when I see photo essays like this, I wonder how the decisions about the process were made. I'm afraid to admit how many hours of my life I've spent on Youtube watching wood get turned into stringed instruments!

Top Bottom