Hello to all of UU

electrocio

Reaction score
I stared out with bass at first but didn't follow though at first then years later I started playing in a Latin church band as a backup. About 1 year later I joined a band as a singer and picked up guitar to write songs and eventually play rhythm. I have never learned play many other peoples songs on guitar; basically only originals and covers that we would preform. During band jam sessions I always played bass haha. After the band split up I left to study photography (was supposed be a side thing) and I haven't really played guitar in over 20 years now.

Every now and then I pick up one of my basses and have some stress reliving fun by myself. My wife knows I used to play bass and guitar and thought it might be nice If I could teach our daughter to play uke when she gets older. I have always thought about picking up the uke so I plan on going the tenor route; 5 string gGCEA.

my collection so far consists of:
-Vintage Spanish classical guitar
- Fender telecaster American special (nothing like a standard telecaster)
- Gibson EB-1 fretless (conversion?)
- Quest bass (25.5 scale)
- Dean cheapo acoustic bass (with nylon wound string; the strings make it sound good)
- Puertorican cuatro.

P.S So far I have strung my 25.5 scale bass in gCEA to begin learning cords and stuff. I've played cords on bass before so I had a good idea what it would sound and play like.

Welcome. I hope your journey into ukulele is just as fun and interesting.

And your daughter enjoys it as well.

Welcome to UU, electrocio!
The ukulele is too much fun, if that 's possible. Well, it is addictive, for certain.

Welcome, nice assortment of instruments. Got a question. Fretless electric bases or somewhat new. My brother played in a band with Jaco Pastorius, I believe he instigated that. Uprights have been fretless for years from the beginning. Wonder why the electric bases didn't start out fretless.

Good question. Well I believe some of the first ones where frettless. At least the one I have was made to emulate an upright bass. It has a capacitor on one of the setting of the rotary switch that eliminates most of the high frequencies and an inducer that passively amplifies the lows. The use of dark wood also helps bring out to low notes. It sounds like an upright (especially with the flat wound strings I have on it. The slotted headstock is a nice touch too. As for the fretted ones....well a guitar maker made then so I'm guessing a fretted bass seamed obvious to a guitar maker. Also consider that Guitarones (acoutic bass guitars found in mexico [and spain?]) exsited prior to the eletric bass and they are fretted (oops they are frettless too).

Last edited:
Top Bottom