Wanted: Red Cocobolo

cor325

Reaction score
Does anyone have red cocobolo sufficient for binding, end and heel caps for a tenor ukulele build or know of a source? Thank you.

StewMac sells cocobolo binding. Check it out. I've used a lot of it although bending it can sometimes be a challenge. Treat with respect however as it can be toxic to sensitive people.

I have used Padauk for bindings it was very red and bent easy in the bender.
PICT0001-2 by Ken Timms,

Last edited:
I do not like using either cocobolo or paduk for binding because the color of both bleeds very easily with finish solvents. Even alcohol in shellac will bleed color onto a light colored side. I have found that redheart, (Chakte Kok, Erythroxylum spp. and Simira spp.) is just as red and does not bleed at all.

I do not like using either cocobolo or paduk for binding because the color of both bleeds very easily with finish solvents. Even alcohol in shellac will bleed color onto a light colored side. I have found that redheart, (Chakte Kok, Erythroxylum spp. and Simira spp.) is just as red and does not bleed at all.

I've never really had a problem with bleeding although I believe it can happen and that is not good. Could ruin a project because there is not much you can do to fix it. Yes, beware of bleeding...

My problem with cocobolo is how fast it fades over time. This is not a problem limited to cocobolo either. Many exotic colored woods do the same thing. UV + Oxygen = Brown. See a picture below as an example. The darker binding is on an uke I built about 3 years previously.

coco.jpg

That's all very good information, thank you. I was thinking that purfling could handle the bleeding issue, but not sure that anything will prevent the fading. A differeent direction that I had been thinking about might be Bloodwood, even though a little more on the orange side.

been thinking about might be Bloodwood, even though a little more on the orange side.

Heads up on bloodwood - it can be tough to bend. Extremely hard and brittle in my experience. Plus it is a little too red to my eye although some like the look.

Top Bottom