Hello from Oklahoma!

MimiMac

Reaction score
New to UU and ukulele

Welcome, Mimi. Hope your ukulele journey is a happy one!

Welcome to UU, Mimi!
THere's lots of information here if you're a bit unsure how to proceed. Hopefully you're having lots of fun with your tenor!

Welcome to the UU Forum Mimi.

If you are brand new to ukulele, check out gotaukulele.com by Barry Maz. It's aimed at beginner players. Lots of tips, information and ukulele reviews.

Also UU member choirguy has a blog: http://ukestuff.info
And ukulele YouTube channels:
Play Along Videos: ukeplayalongs
Everything Else: ukestuff

Those can help get you going along your journey into uke playing.

Hi!
I lived in Tulsa and in Norman.
Welcome to UU!

Thank you all so much! Have been playing just 10 months or so. I actually wanted to learn the banjolele. But I have really small hands, especially my left. I was burned as a toddler and my left thumb can not extend out hardly at all. So I started with a less expensive tenor ukulele and if I managed ok, plan to move up to a decent quality banjolele. I use a strap but I can do this!

Thank you all so much! Have been playing just 10 months or so. I actually wanted to learn the banjolele. But I have really small hands, especially my left. I was burned as a toddler and my left thumb can not extend out hardly at all. So I started with a less expensive tenor ukulele and if I managed ok, plan to move up to a decent quality banjolele. I use a strap but I can do this!

They make concert and even soprano sized ukes and banjoleles. (Banjo Ukes?) They may be a little easier for you to play than a tenor. My wife has small hands and she absolutely can't play my tenors. (Actually, she likes the soprano size, but just doesn't have the time to learn. Maybe when she retires...) Make sure your uke has a low setup to also make fretting a little easier.

Regardless, there are lots of makes and models to choose from. In all price ranges.

If you are playing right handed, your left thumb is usually behind the neck. A narrower or flat neck may help as well.

Yes, you can do this.

PS: My first uke was a Fender Nohea tenor. I bought it from Amazon and it was VERY difficult to barre chords. Then I had a setup done at a guitar repair shop. Lowering the action. It played MUCH easier after that. Especially the barre chords, but all the others as well. I have some arthritis in my hands and a lowered action helps a lot.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I have really enjoyed the wealth of information on this forum. My right hand is 5 3/4” from tip to wrist. But my problem is my left thumb can not extend from side of my hand. Only my fingers can open. So I balance my uke on edge of my thumb, it can not wrap around it. Which also limits my finger reach but I’m making it work. Perhaps a concert banjo uke would be better suited for me. I wanted to learn to frail/clawhammer, thus my interest in an banjo ukulele. Wanting to sound closer to a banjo than a uke, is why I had considered the tenor.

Welcome, "where the wind comes right behind the rain?" Good place to starts lots of smart people here and the lessons available will help you progress.

Welcome to the forums. I have family in the Tulsa area. Good luck moving to the banjolele.

Hello and welcome, hope you always have a wonderful and fruitful day!

Top Bottom