Ukulele Hall of Fame

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I may be the only one who didn't know that this existed, but just in case anyone else is interested:
There is a Ukulele Hall of Fame:
https://www.ukulele.org/?Home

There are some articles, like on Echo Ukuleles, and some downloads, (songbook, chord charts), and more.

But is it still in operation? The latest posting looks to be 2012.

-Kurt

Oh, goodness--talk about memories! UHOFM sponsored the first ukulele festival/expo I ever attended, just two months after getting my first ukulele. It was August 2003 and it was held at the Rhode Island School of Design. The focus of the organization, at least at that time, was on the history and early builders and players. They highlighted a lot of Hawaiian and tin pan alley-style players and the event had a distinct east coast-centric feel.

It wasn't the *earliest* days of the current ukulele revival, but it was pretty darn early--I got to meet a lot of *great* ukulele players and makers and was astounded at the "approachability" of all. UHOFM folks built a large (rope-bound style and vintage shape, of course) ukulele which was on the stage; this predated the big one at Santa Cruz by a few years. The oversized ukulele was built in two sections and was brought to the expo on the roof of someone's car (a Subaru?). The uke was used at the next year's expo, as well, as I recall, but suffered some damage somewhere along the way....

The attached photo is of one of the concert performers at the event--Joel Eckhaus and a *tap dancer* doing a joint uke/tap number. With aforementioned ukulele.
P1010032.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom