What should I consider? Opio? aNueNue? Something else?

I love the sound and feel of the Opio. I just don't like the Koaloha aesthetic. If you like it, though, then I'd definitely get it.

When I was looking for a sub-$500 concert, I ended up with a Mele mango concert. I still like it several years later. I'd be a little bit careful about getting a Mele, though, because their build quality can be a bit dodgy, but I really like their sound, looks, and feel.

opio and aNueNue are both good choices, with the Opio probably being more readily available. The Rebel is another good choice. I got a mango concert with low-G, and it's great. It looks wonderful, and it has sound beyond its size. Look for used, first. Every used uke I have bought has looked like new, but it was in perfect condition.

Look for used, first. Every used uke I have bought has looked like new, but it was in perfect condition.

My only experience in buying used has been from the UU Marketplace, but I've bought a few there, and they really looked like new and were in perfect condition, (with one exception.) If you decide on something that is a bit above your stated price range, put a WTB in the Marketplace and see what people might be willing to sell to you. You might be able to get a dream ukulele for a lot less than the new price, but it could be in mint condition, and well set up.

Creme Brulee - thin-line in soprano, tenor, and long-neck concert (tenor scale neck on concert body) but NOT in concert-body with concert-neck
Double Creme - standard thickness body in soprano, concert, and tenor
Double Creme Matte - standard thickness body in soprano, concert, and tenor

I find The Rebel names confusing because they're too similar. They have Creme ("cream"), Creme ("crem") Brulee, Cheesecake, maybe Double Cheesecake. Creme and Creme Brulee are too similar, and adding Double to some names doesn't help. What's their fascination with the letter "C"? :D

I havent played a concert Opio, but love my soprano. That being said, I have nothing but extremely positive experiences with Anuenue. I consider the AMM3 the best ukulele under $1,000 i have played. It beats out all Ponos I have owned and played, and it holds up against my other more-expensive instruments.

Last edited:
opio and aNueNue are both good choices, with the Opio probably being more readily available. The Rebel is another good choice. I got a mango concert with low-G, and it's great. It looks wonderful, and it has sound beyond its size. Look for used, first. Every used uke I have bought has looked like new, but it was in perfect condition.

My only experience in buying used has been from the UU Marketplace, but I've bought a few there, and they really looked like new and were in perfect condition, (with one exception.) If you decide on something that is a bit above your stated price range, put a WTB in the Marketplace and see what people might be willing to sell to you. You might be able to get a dream ukulele for a lot less than the new price, but it could be in mint condition, and well set up.

I've never purchased a used uke so there's a certain level of worry/anxiety there but I've seen a lot of good deals in the Marketplace over the years. I know I'd be very happy getting used ukes in the same condition as the ukes I've sold and people here seem to be knowledgeable and trustworthy so maybe I shouldn't worry so much. I may end up dipping my toe into the Marketplace pool and placing 2-3 WTBs to see if anyone is selling the ukes I'd be considering. If I were to buy used I would pretty much count on having the added expense of having the action adjusted. I have a slight weakness in my fretting hand so I need the action low, especially at the nut. I've noticed that there's a difference between requesting "low action" and requesting "low as it's safe to go at the first fret" from sellers who do setups . I've gotten some pretty stiff action at the first fret from some ukes that were supposedly set up with "low action".

I havent played a concert Opio, but love my soprano. That being said, I have nothing but extremely positive experiences with Anuenue. I consider the AMM3 the best ukulele under $1,000 i have played. It beats out all Ponos I have owned and played, and it holds up against my other more-expensive instruments.

My experience with Anuenue is mixed. Their older models, eg. the laminates before the revamped Rainbow series in 2017; the solid tops like Super Lani, and the Dolphin Koa series were a bit overpriced; the quality wasn't bad but the sound was a bit of a let down.

However, since the launch of the AMM/ASR and the Moon bird series, with structural design collaborated with a respected Taiwanese and Japanese luthier respectively, the brand's ukes improve in sound significantly.

My point is: don't buy the older Anuenue models but the newer ones, if you are interested in a used one.

Last edited:
My experience with Anuenue is mixed. Their older models, eg. the laminates before the revamped Rainbow series in 2017; the solid tops like Super Lani, and the Dolphin Koa series were a bit overpriced; the quality wasn't bad but the sound was a bit of a let down.

However, since the launch of the AMM/ASR and the Moon bird series, with structural design collaborated with a respected Taiwanese and Japanese luthier respectively, the brand's ukes improve in sound significantly.

My point is: don't buy the older Anuenue models but the newer ones, if you are interested in a used one.

Thanks for the heads up. My interest in aNueNue is specifically the AMM2 which is a newer model so no worries there.

There were a lot of recommendations for The Rebel so I checked it out. From the sound samples I heard, it sounds very nice. I would be happy with the sound but for me, the looks are so uninspiring and I'm not a fan of the headstock. I know for a lot of people the sound and playability are what they shop for and looks don't matter but for me, I want all 3 - looks, playability and sound. Perhaps it's something that may change in the future but I know I wouldn't be happy with the looks of the current models. And though it doesn't matter at all in the big picture, what's with the names? Creme brulee? Double cheese? Cheesecake? If I were in on that marketing meeting I would have been one of the dissenting voices. I'm sure they are fine ukes but not so much for me.

Thanks for the heads up. My interest in aNueNue is specifically the AMM2 which is a newer model so no worries there.

Another quick heads up. aNueNue redesigned the AMM2 in 2019, I believe, and it now has a wider lower bout. The sound is really nice and big for a concert, and similarly to someone else praising the AMM3 (i.e., tenor) above, I'd say it's probably the best uke I've played under a grand, at least when talking about factory instruments. Even older versions have a normal headstock instead of the slotted one so that's an easy giveaway if you're looking for a used one.

I’ll just jump in to say that, if you don’t already own one, I kind of feel like everyone should have at least one Flea or Fluke in their collection. Well made, extremely good action and intonation, built in Massachusetts by wonderful people, very unique design, and the solid Koa tops in particular are excellent sounding instruments.

Scooter

There were a lot of recommendations for The Rebel so I checked it out. From the sound samples I heard, it sounds very nice. I would be happy with the sound but for me, the looks are so uninspiring and I'm not a fan of the headstock. I know for a lot of people the sound and playability are what they shop for and looks don't matter but for me, I want all 3 - looks, playability and sound. Perhaps it's something that may change in the future but I know I wouldn't be happy with the looks of the current models. And though it doesn't matter at all in the big picture, what's with the names? Creme brulee? Double cheese? Cheesecake? If I were in on that marketing meeting I would have been one of the dissenting voices. I'm sure they are fine ukes but not so much for me.

I can relate, although I seem to have different preferences to you. Aesthetically, headstocks and bridges can be dealbreakers for me. The Rebels' headstock shape isn't my favorite: not terrible, but not amazing. But aside from being very playable and sounding great, they check a lot of boxes for me aesthetically: logo design that I prefer to most, unique and interesting fretboard markers, stylish UPTs, simple but nice bridge shape, attractive body shape. I even love their rounded edges, which made me question why they put out limited editions with binding.

The only aesthetic issue for me with Rebels is some of the grain patterns. But with about a half dozen dealers in the States, there's a lot of options. If that's your issue, hopefully you looked at different vendors. And for the most part, I actually like the way spruce, mahogany, and mango looks.

They probably could have come up with better names, but I almost never think about it. I don't mind dessert names for ukes.

But I'm like you, if a particular ukulele doesn't look good to me, I can't get past it. I happen to think Rebels look great, but if you don't, that's just your preference. It's too bad, though, since the sound and playability are great. But you shouldn't get something you already don't like.

Another quick heads up. aNueNue redesigned the AMM2 in 2019, I believe, and it now has a wider lower bout. The sound is really nice and big for a concert, and similarly to someone else praising the AMM3 (i.e., tenor) above, I'd say it's probably the best uke I've played under a grand, at least when talking about factory instruments. Even older versions have a normal headstock instead of the slotted one so that's an easy giveaway if you're looking for a used one.

Seems Anuenue has 2 separate production lines; one is a larger scale handcraft workshop as this youtube link shows; another is the some factory outsourced, lower end models. From my understanding AMM3 is produced in the workshop.

Seems Anuenue has 2 separate production lines; one is a larger scale handcraft workshop as this youtube link shows; another is the some factory outsourced, lower end models. From my understanding AMM3 is produced in the workshop.

I don't have factual info about this but, judging by the build quality of my AMM2, I would agree. The build quality is on par with my Moon Bird and it's about half the price. Just amazing value.

I can relate, although I seem to have different preferences to you. Aesthetically, headstocks and bridges can be dealbreakers for me. The Rebels' headstock shape isn't my favorite: not terrible, but not amazing. But aside from being very playable and sounding great, they check a lot of boxes for me aesthetically: logo design that I prefer to most, unique and interesting fretboard markers, stylish UPTs, simple but nice bridge shape, attractive body shape. I even love their rounded edges, which made me question why they put out limited editions with binding.

The only aesthetic issue for me with Rebels is some of the grain patterns. But with about a half dozen dealers in the States, there's a lot of options. If that's your issue, hopefully you looked at different vendors. And for the most part, I actually like the way spruce, mahogany, and mango looks.

They probably could have come up with better names, but I almost never think about it. I don't mind dessert names for ukes.

But I'm like you, if a particular ukulele doesn't look good to me, I can't get past it. I happen to think Rebels look great, but if you don't, that's just your preference. It's too bad, though, since the sound and playability are great. But you shouldn't get something you already don't like.

Aesthetics and attraction are weird and sometimes unexplainable things. Over the years I purchased two ukes, a Kala and a Pono, that I just never bonded with. I was attracted enough to buy each but just never connected with them. The Pono's sound was very nice but overall I just wasn't feeling it and I still couldn't connect. The Kala sounded nice and it had a stunningly beautiful woodgrain but in the end it was the same situation. Both were fine and there was nothing wrong with either but they just didn't work for me. I was able to sell the Kala to someone in person and it was really cool to see how thrilled and excited the buyer was. Seeing her reaction was a bigger thrill than the uke ever gave me! :D The difference between the Kala/Pono and The Rebel is that I'm realizing it's not for me before I bought it.

Another example about how preferences are sometimes weird - I am a bling guy so I like a uke to have binding and any number of other visual accoutrements. (Which is probably a big reason I find The Rebel so uninspiring looks-wise) I didn't think I'd ever like a plain looking uke until I bought an Ohana all-solid mahogany long neck soprano. It has no binding or other visual bling other than a very plain looking rosette. Despite all that, I love that little uke. It seems to go against everything I want and look for in a new uke but I still love it. Go figure! :D

@mikelz777
What a wonderful quest! It's clear that every bit of your self-knowledge of preferences aye and nay is already proving helpful. With so many great choices out there, personal preference-- not least aesthetics-- is definitely as important as any other consideration.

And, preference is not something any one person can answer for another.

I'll chime in on a few brands already touched on here:

1) I have an Ohana Concert I love against most comers (CK-38), a solid-top laminate I've tried hard to love but just don't [more for reasons of feel than of tone?] (CK-50ME), and a couple that are a total hoot for what they are-- an SK-21 Sopranino, and the Nunez Soprano SK-28 (happy little Bark Box, that!). A spectrum of affection, within a number of relatively similarly-produced products.

Maybe you would enjoy another Ohana, more than than you would have expected. Maybe not....

2) Anuenue AMM2: This one so very clearly has more to offer than I know to ask of it, yet. What an instrument. In an odd way, I'm still not sure what to think of mine. It's so... other, compared to my other choices.
It's not heavy, per se, but presents as substantial, and I look forward to really, really playing it through the years ahead. Every time I pick it up, I'm all, "Woah."

I would actually prefer a non-slotted headstock (slotted headstocks on Ukuleles seem visually heavy to me due their necessary thickness, and I don't care for the feel of the width at the rear back of the head, but it's a looker all the same.

I don't have enough experience to say that it punches above its weight, but the extra-wide lower bout* definitely gives it sonic depth that my other Concerts don't have. It's not a loud ukulele, it's just a MORE one.

*The AMM2 is, as Queen might say, a fat-bottomed girl. I appealed to Anuenue USA to allow me to upgrade to a hard case when I purchased it, because: BLUE, and also with an eye to humidification through the winter. They replied that the blue hard cases are for the Moonbirds/uppermost-level Ukuleles only, and extolled the quality of the AMM2's included gig bag. The gig bag *is* nice, but I'd still prefer a hard case.
Had I realized the AMM2 would not fit into a standard concert hard case due to its lower bout, I might have pushed harder-- if indeed, it even fits into Anuenue's blue ones...?

If the AMM2's styling appeals to you at all, I would definitely give it a good, long look.

3) The Rebel
My favorite take on the naming unconventions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPAZLa7hHs&t

"... But how would you know?!" :D

I have an Acacia Concert prototype and a Mango Double Creme Soprano.
The ukuleles sound different from each other, but can also both be instantly identified as Rebels by their tone-- a definite family resemblance.

And... I love my Rebels unreasonably, soup to nuts-- the feel, the sound, the softer strings, the aesthetics and branding. They suit me well, best, and I'm so glad I jumped into them.

As you've said, aesthetics matter, and should be heeded. I don't care for the Koaloha/Opio distinctives, especially the non-round sound holes-- and that's enough of a deal-breaker for me.

You don't care for the Rebel distinctives, so that's a deal-breaker for you.
(And again, a good thing to reckon with and accept from the get-go: there are so many great choices, there's no point spending extra energy trying to like something/not let something bother you....)

My hope for you at this point is that your next ukelele(s) suit you as well as the (The) Rebels do me.

I look forward to seeing what you decide. :)

~ S.

Last edited:
I don't have factual info about this but, judging by the build quality of my AMM2, I would agree. The build quality is on par with my Moon Bird and it's about half the price. Just amazing value.

Kalei & Corey for aNueNue USA say that the budget ukes are built in a separate factory. The more expensive ukes like AMM are built in a factory with only 8 luthiers. (2:30 mark)

It will be interesting to which factory produces the new line of aNueNue ukes that aNueNue USA will be releasing.

Last edited:
Mikelz777, it's interesting to me that you don't like the Rebel headstocks, as I think this is one of the most attractive aspects of my Rebel. The shape is graceful, the (bird?) inlay is beautiful, and I love the rim of lighter brown wood outlining the shiny dark ebony. It's nicer than many customs I've seen. Of course, the design shows up nicer on some wood colors than others. But I find it classy and well-executed. The fret markers are exquisite and extremely well done also. Usually the woods used on The Rebel are attractive enough that they don't need excessive bling and details. I've seen some really, really nice mango ones. Don't get me wrong, I love details and bling myself, and my custom uke coming will have plenty. But I don't really find that The Rebel look is plain. It's more like it's classy, like my Kanile'a. But to each his own, of course. There are so many beautiful and wonderful sounding ukes out there, and we can't have them all. So decisions must be made somehow, lol. Btw, I also look for all three qualities in my ukes. Sound and playability are key, but the looks must be attractive to me as well. So I understand that perspective.

Last edited:
Mikelz777, it's interesting to me that you don't like the Rebel headstocks, as I think this is one of the most attractive aspects of my Rebel. The shape is graceful, the (bird?) inlay is beautiful, and I love the rim of lighter brown wood outlining the shiny dark ebony. It's nicer than many customs I've seen. Of course, the design shows up nicer on some wood colors than others. But I find it classy and well-executed. The fret markers are exquisite and extremely well done also. Usually the woods used on The Rebel are attractive enough that they don't need excessive bling and details. I've seen some really, really nice mango ones. Don't get me wrong, I love details and bling myself, and my custom uke coming will have plenty. But I don't really find that The Rebel look is plain. It's more like it's classy, like my Kanile'a. But to each his own, of course. There are so many beautiful and wonderful sounding ukes out there, and we can't have them all. So decisions must be made somehow, lol. Btw, I also look for all three qualities in my ukes. Sound and playability are key, but the looks must be attractive to me as well. So I understand that perspective.

I agree on the headstock. I find it very attractive myself with the shape and logo. What I don't like is that Rebel have switched to an ebony faceplate on the tenor scale ukes for the Creme Brulee and Double Creme models. I wish they would also do it on the concert and soprano models since that ebony headstock in particular is gorgeous.

I've been considering getting a Rebel for some time now. I'm especially interested in the mango models because I think they might be the nicest mango ukes outside really expensive K brand stuff. But I'm hesitant because I think I might eventually just give in and buy one of those Kanile'a mango ukes anyway which would make the Rebel redundant. No doubt they're a quality brand though.

Top Bottom