Do you buy with your eyes when you should buy with your ears and hands?

MJB

Reaction score
Lanakai has a quilted maple concert with a gorgeous purple stain. It may be the prettiest looking instrument I've ever seen.

I almost ordered one. Being a cancer patient also helped to rationalize the "Purple" purchase.

But....I don't need a cutaway and I really don't need any on board electronics.

It probably is quite playable and has a good tone but I resisted the urge to order.

I like a nice looking instrument as much as anyone but I'm glad I didn't give in.

Are you often tempted by the "Siren song" of a pretty uke?

I'm going to make a friendly challenge to the frame of your question: I don't think there's anything wrong with buying with your eyes. And, ultimately, having an instrument you really love the looks of can be a good motivator to keep it around and play more! Of course, you don't want a pretty instrument that's terrible to play, but that doesn't mean that it's a shame to be attracted to the looks of an instrument or to consider looks in the purchase process.

When I started building, one of my mentors had a mantra: people listen with their eyes first. Instruments don't have to be fancy, but whether they are ornate or simple, they should always look nice (coherent design, well proportioned, cleanly built, etc). This mantra makes sense when you consider that whether buying in a music store, from a catalog, or online, most people will see an instrument before they hear it. You could build a great feeling and great sounding instrument, but it won't sell if it's so ugly that no one picks it up off the rack to try it out! And even once bought, I know that - personally at least - I get a lot of satisfaction out of looking at, holding, and using a good looking instrument.

Basically what I think I'm saying is that you should go buy that purple uke! :D

I'm going to make a friendly challenge to the frame of your question: I don't think there's anything wrong with buying with your eyes. And, ultimately, having an instrument you really love the looks of can be a good motivator to keep it around and play more! Of course, you don't want a pretty instrument that's terrible to play, but that doesn't mean that it's a shame to be attracted to the looks of an instrument or to consider looks in the purchase process.

When I started building, one of my mentors had a mantra: people listen with their eyes first. Instruments don't have to be fancy, but whether they are ornate or simple, they should always look nice (coherent design, well proportioned, cleanly built, etc). This mantra makes sense when you consider that whether buying in a music store, from a catalog, or online, most people will see an instrument before they hear it. You could build a great feeling and great sounding instrument, but it won't sell if it's so ugly that no one picks it up off the rack to try it out! And even once bought, I know that - personally at least - I get a lot of satisfaction out of looking at, holding, and using a good looking instrument.

Basically what I think I'm saying is that you should go buy that purple uke! :D

Ha ha, you're quite the enabler! :cool:

Like I said, I like a nice looking instrument as much as anyone. If Lanakai made that uke without the cutaway and electronics for $100 less I'd be digging out the credit card.

I do think looks are important on an ukulele come only third after sound and playability. But I'll admit that I have been suckered and probably will be suckered by a looker. I almost bought a Snail S60C which has that massive abalone soundhole rosette but I was able to resist myself. Much more than decoration or colour or anything like that, I'm a real sucker for a nice looking wood grain. I have a baritone I immediately had to jump on after I saw how gorgeous the wood grain pattern was.

I'm aware of that Lanikai model and to me that one looks a bit too garish with the purple. I much prefer a more softer colour like the red and blue/green Big Island mango models. I don't have any of these coloured ukes, but if I did I would go for the Big Island.

I had a choice of two different Martin C1Ks when I bought mine. I picked the one I did because the top and bottom sheet were made of a single width of Koa rather than two book matched halves. The one I didn't buy was a bit lighter in weight and I suppose maybe sounded better - but it seemed special to have an instrument made from a thick log of wood since I hadn't seen that before.

Are you often tempted by the "Siren song" of a pretty uke?

I've been tempted a lot by pretty ukes and enough so that I even bought a few so YES! Two of my current 5 ukes were purchased based on looks alone. I wasn't able to touch or hear either before buying them. One was a Kala and the other an Ohana so I was pretty certain I'd be happy with both based on the reputations of the brands. I also comforted myself knowing that I could easily get them set up like I wanted them if I wasn't happy with how they played when I received them. I love them both and they both sound great. A third uke I bought based on looks alone was a different story. It was beautiful and it sounded fine but I never bonded with it. I ended up selling it to someone who was very excited and appreciative to have it.

I would agree that sound and playability are more important than looks but there's nothing wrong with having all three!

To be honest, I only buy with my eyes. I'm not saying that I am purchasing Sharks and Kalas with some unique festooning. That would be lunacy. I am buying quality instruments. Since that's the case, the quality takes care of itself and I devote my attention to the looks of the uke.

My ears and hands and if they are happy then eyes.

Yup. I'll get drawn in with the looks, then play it with my eyes closed just listening and feeling it in my hands. My hands are fussy, so if they're happy I can overlook a few things in the looks department. If it just seems really ugly to me though, I won't play it so it's a waste of money for me.
The purple uke mentioned above is a looker to me, but the sound leaves me cold. I know it would sit in the corner and I'd happily play my cedar Kala. To me it's really pretty and I love the sound. My favorite one in my hand is my Mainland even though I don't care for the rope binding. I sent back a gold tone little gem banjo uke. loved the blue, but the neck is one of those flatter profiles that makes me feel like I'm holding a 2 x 4.

I’ve never been able to play a Uke before purchasing it, so I guess it’s always my eyes first. But I do move them along if they don’t sound or feel right!!

Not any more. I buy with my ears.
As for the Lanakai, it's quite lovely. But I don't like active pickups, they add too much weight and a battery can go dead anytime, with no notice. Bad onstage! I use a passive pickup, and there has never been any worries. 8 hole bridges are no fun to tie, but it you can string a 12 string guitar, no worries.
I've learned that I'd rather have people compliment my playing than my pretty uke, but each to her own!

Last edited:
Yup. I'll get drawn in with the looks, then play it with my eyes closed just listening and feeling it in my hands. My hands are fussy, so if they're happy I can overlook a few things in the looks department. If it just seems really ugly to me though, I won't play it so it's a waste of money for me.
The purple uke mentioned above is a looker to me, but the sound leaves me cold. I know it would sit in the corner and I'd happily play my cedar Kala. To me it's really pretty and I love the sound. My favorite one in my hand is my Mainland even though I don't care for the rope binding. I sent back a gold tone little gem banjo uke. loved the blue, but the neck is one of those flatter profiles that makes me feel like I'm holding a 2 x 4.

I get you! I bought a Gold Tone banjouke and the neck felt like that. I had to have my luthier take off a LOT of wood, probably 1/8" before it was playable.
Yes, the Lanakai sounded rather one dimensional, didn't it?

Here's a YT video of the Purple temptress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbCC7waJyU

Ohh, I can see why that caught your eye. Do they make a version without the electronics? Maybe you can find something.... (Have to encourage UAS, right?)

I would say that some ukuleles have caught my eyes first, but if I didn't like the sound, or if the neck wasn't right for me, I'd have to pass, (or, in my early days, I might have bought it, and then had to resell it.) I now have a good idea of what works for me, so there are times that something that my eyes really want me to buy has to be vetoed by my ears and hands. :)
And, now, my bank balance wants me to wait until the pandemic ends, too. :)

And, now, my bank balance wants me to wait until the pandemic ends, too. :)

I just had a grim thought earlier today but it made me laugh. I thought that even though I have the money to buy another uke (from the sales of two others) maybe I should hold off until the pandemic is over. If I came out on the wrong side of this thing they may need that money to help bury me! :D

Isn't the old expression, "you eat with your eyes first"?

Seems applicable...

This was one of those "buy with my eyes" purchases that was bought based on it's looks alone. The picture doesn't capture the depth and contrast of the flame/striping in the wood. It's got that beautiful striping on front, back and sides.

thumbnail_IMG_2473.jpg

I have a good friend, who, at a ukulele festival asked me which Uke he should buy.
That one looks better
The other sounds better
But which should I buy?
That one sounds better
The other looks better
But which should I buy?

He finally bought based on sound — it still,looked nice, just not as nice.

For me, I’m PLAYING the instrument, not LOOKING at it.
But, OMG, there are some really pretty Uke s out there

Top Bottom