Strings

Al.bull

Reaction score
Just purchased a big island all sold mango tenor can anyone recommend a good set of strings pls

Dude! This is impossible to answer because strings are very important and very individual. Here are just a few of the options involved:

1. Do you want a re-entrant or a linear tuning?
2. If you opt for iinear, do you want wound base strings or unwound
3. Do you want nylon or fluorocarbon strings?
4. Do you want a brighter or warmer sound?
5. What texture or what tension are you aiming for?

I'm not trying to be a jerk (that just comes naturally gratis); I'm just saying there are a lot of variables and the more information you provided, the better people could respond to you.

There are posts and reviews on about revert string brand. Use the search and you will find many opinions.

If it's brand new, it will probably come with the white Aquila strings. Some folks love em, others not. I'd recommend playing those for a couple of weeks, to let them, and the uke settle in and acclimate. Don't be afraid to tune down to B or Bb tunings, as tenors often sound better that way, sweeter and more resonant.

If still not the sound you want, I'd try an inexpensive set of flourocarbon strings next, like the Martin M620. If you like the flouro sound better, then you can try other flouro sets like Worth, Oasis, etc, until you find what suits your ears best. Good luck.

A good quality ukulele will generally come with adequate quality strings. If you have specific needs, then look for strings that meet those needs. Some people really want low-G or lower tension or higher tension or thicker or thinner or warmer or brighter, etc. These are personal preferences that you need to figure out for yourself.

Mango tenors usually have a warm sound to them. Do you want to emphasize that, or counter it with bright strings?

Do you prefer Nylon strings? Think traditional Hawaiian sound.
Or, Fluorocarbon strings. More guitar-ish sounding.
Or, something that sounds a bit of both? (Aquila Sugars.)

My go-to tenor strings are Living Waters fluorocarbon for both Low-G & Hi-g. I just like their sound. Plain, no wound strings in the sets. But they aren't best for all tenors. I have a set of Worth Brown Medium fluorocarbon strings on my Pono Mango tenor. I like the very warm sound the combination gives. But it's not right for everyone.

I agree with Ukecaster. If your uke has Nylon strings on it, keep them for a while and see if you like them. (Many new ukes come with knockoff Aquila Nylon strings. If it doesn't have a tag that says "Aquila," the strings may not the real thing. Martin M620 strings are a good starting point for trying Fluorocarbons. Give both a couple of weeks to settle completely and you to get used to them. If you like them, great! Which of the two do you prefer? Then explore strings in that category, either Nylon or Fluoros.

You'll narrow the field pretty quickly. You may want to keep notes on what you tried and what you liked and disliked about them.

Most of all, have fun. They influence the sound of your uke a lot. And seldom will a set sound bad. So enjoy the experience.

Mango tenors usually have a warm sound to them. Do you want to emphasize that, or counter it with bright strings?

Do you prefer Nylon strings? Think traditional Hawaiian sound.
Or, Fluorocarbon strings. More guitar-ish sounding.
Or, something that sounds a bit of both? (Aquila Sugars.)

My go-to tenor strings are Living Waters fluorocarbon for both Low-G & Hi-g. I just like their sound. Plain, no wound strings in the sets. But they aren't best for all tenors. I have a set of Worth Brown Medium fluorocarbon strings on my Pono Mango tenor. I like the very warm sound the combination gives. But it's not right for everyone.

I agree with Ukecaster. If your uke has Nylon strings on it, keep them for a while and see if you like them. (Many new ukes come with knockoff Aquila Nylon strings. If it doesn't have a tag that says "Aquila," the strings may not the real thing. Martin M620 strings are a good starting point for trying Fluorocarbons. Give both a couple of weeks to settle completely and you to get used to them. If you like them, great! Which of the two do you prefer? Then explore strings in that category, either Nylon or Fluoros.

You'll narrow the field pretty quickly. You may want to keep notes on what you tried and what you liked and disliked about them.

Most of all, have fun. They influence the sound of your uke a lot. And seldom will a set sound bad. So enjoy the experience.

Hi sorry should have tried to give a bit more info I have a Kremona Mari with Fluros with a low g and looking to replace the strings on the big island it is second hand and came with Tomastik infield flatwound g and c Daddario e and a . I would like to put on a set with high g.I do like the sound from the fluoros but just wanted to try something different I have only been playing for about 1 yr thanks

String choice is highly personal. My choice is Fremont Black Line for my 3 tenors. I use C tuning on my Kamaka. On my my Kanilea I use B Flat, I found the sound more pleasing to my ears. On my Ko'Aloha I tune B Flat or A. I've tried other makes but always seem to gravitate back to Fremonts. My two cents, try a few different brands until you find the one you like best.

Hi sorry should have tried to give a bit more info I have a Kremona Mari with Fluros with a low g and looking to replace the strings on the big island it is second hand and came with Tomastik infield flatwound g and c Daddario e and a . I would like to put on a set with high g.I do like the sound from the fluoros but just wanted to try something different I have only been playing for about 1 yr thanks

Based on:

1) You want to switch to high g
2) you want to try something different than fluoros

I'd suggest one of the mainstream nylon brands - Aquila, Martin, D'addario, etc. Aquila nylguts are probably the default choice.

Might as well hang on to the strings you take off, assuming they're in good shape and they come off cleanly, in case you decide you want to try them again in the future. Thomastic Infield flatwounds are easily my favorite wound strings for ukes, it would be a shame to toss them!

Top Bottom