FS Pono Pro Classic Cedar-Macassar Ebony Tenor ET5(C) PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosie and me

Reaction score
This is a truly gorgeous tenor with the solid cedar top and solid Macassar ebony sides and back. It has a crisp, complex, and rich sound with amazing sustain. It's not only pretty but sounds great.

Pono didn't make many of these that feature the abalone purfing and rosette that makes this a stunning instrument. Macassar Ebony has become a rare exotic wood that adds a harmonic resonance This is Pono's top-of-the-line Pro Classic and has the slightly radius fretboard, grover tuners, bone nut and saddle, and gloss finish.

Excellent used condition for this classic and hard to find beauty. Only a few very light scratches below the bridge from string changes. I bought it used 2 years ago and haven't been able to play it more than a few times due to shoulder injury. It has been stored in it's case, which is included. Right now it is strung with Worth Brown High G.

I really hate to part with it, but it isn't getting played and it deserves to be.
I'm asking $900, plus $60 shipping to CONUS. Paypal preferred.

1-IMG_2007.jpg3-IMG_2009.jpg5-IMG_2014.jpg5-IMG_1976.jpg9-IMG_1983.jpg

Hi
Nice, but the back looks like rosewood, not Ebony
Are you sure?
Ron

Hi
Nice, but the back looks like rosewood, not Ebony
Are you sure?
Ron

Hi Ron, The back in the photo does look similar to rosewood. The model designation on the label: "ET5(C) PC" stands for Ebony Tenor Model 5 (Cedar) Pro Classic.
I used to have an older Pono Cedar/Ebony tenor and the wood looked very similar to this. Browner than most ebony. Very much like rosewood.

I have a cedar top PC, and have played a couple of others as well. All sound great. Based on mine, it is my favorite-sounding of the many ukes I have owned. For comparison, I have owned Kamakas, Kanileas, Koalohas, Kiwaya/Famous, other PCs, several nice 1920’s to 1950’s, some small luthier shops. So no multi-thousand dollar super crazy stuff, but enough that saying the cedar top PCs are the best-sounding I have played has some significance. It is true these Ponos weigh more than many other brands. When I pick up my Koaloha after holding my PC it is very noticeable. But I really love the radiused fretboard which is a very hard to find feature in a production uke!

Thanks, Dionysis. It's nice to hear from someone who has experienced this ukulele and knows how special it is. I agree with all you said, including that it does weigh a bit more. Now that I am able to return to playing again, I am finding that the lighter KoAloha I bought here on UU is better suited to my physical ability. It is still hard to let go of this beauty though. I just hope it finds a deserving home.

I believe the price is fair, but I would consider a best offer.

I had the cutaway version of this uke. The sound was just phenomenal. The only reason I sold it is because I just can't handle the thick pono necks. I would love to get a cedar/macassar kanile'a or anunue if they ever made one.

Thanks, yes, it looks and sounds amazing!

AND I'd like to find it a home, so I've lowered the price to $800, including shipping to CONUS. I need to make room and have this in the hands of someone who will appreciate it.

Well, I'll give this one last try to find a home for this beauty. Since something is only worth what folks are willing to pay, I will see if lowering the price one more time will tempt one of you into making it yours. I do want to make room and put this uke into the hands of someone who will appreciate it.

So, I am willing to sell it for $725 and will pay the shipping to CONUS with PayPal. It's definitely an amazing ukulele that someone will love.

Rosie, one more excellent feature Pono builds into their Pro Classic line is a truss rod. This is a common feature for guitars with their longer necks and higher string tension. The truss rod runs the length if the neck internally. It is adjusted with a long Allen wrench through the sound hole. The truss rod can adjust the neck to keep it true, making it easier to play, preventing buzzes and the like.

These really are professional grade instruments at hobbyist pricing. They are built to last in the real world, able to endure the rigors of travel, and sound great when amplified. All the PCs I

I'm amazed no one has picked up on this yet. If I didn't already have a really nice pro classic I would jump on this. Somebody is going to get a really nice uke for a midrange price.

Last edited:
Pono is sold

Shipping it off to its new owner in the morning. Appreciate all the supportive bumps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom