Season 460: Rivers, Lakes and Valleys

Tootler

Reaction score

As the thread title says. Songs referring to any form of still or moving fresh water; Rivers, streams, brooks, creeks; lakes, ponds, or similar areas of still water but not the sea. Rivers flow into the sea, so the sea can be mentioned but it should not be the primary focus of the song. Rivers flow and lakes form in valleys so songs referring to valleys or synonyms for valley; glen, dale, canyon etc. References to dams and reservoirs are also accepted. Both original and cover songs are encouraged.

Thornton rule applies. If you think it fits, it will fit so bring it anyway.

The usual rules and guidelines apply

* The recording must be new and made for this week
* Ukulele must be the prominent feature though other instruments may also feature.
* State somewhere your video is for Season 460
* Start and finsh times as usual, 8 days starting midnight Hawaii on Sunday morning and ending Midnight Hawaii the following Saturday night
* Most importantly, this is about fun so enjoy yourselves.

One song a day please from our more prolific contributers. (I struggle to get two in the week, these days!)

Playlist

Last edited:
Here's the intro video without the text. I had to darken the video to add the text, so I'm posting this one and it will be the version on the playlist.

Here's one of my favourite pop songs of the last decade.

Stretching my upper range a little here.

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for the expansive theme. I know you don't mind a traditional tune - so here's a well known one. Shenandoah. First time I've done this...I had to stop myself morphing it into Wild Mountain Thyme. has a similar melody. I remember you did a really good version of W. M. T. recently. And I always thought Shenandoah was the name of the river - but apparently not.

I'm back … I've had a few problems with my computer, and had to rejoin the ukulele underground with a new account …

The Mersey runs past the bottom of my road and into the sea, but this song was written at the other end of the river by Manchester's Stone Roses

Cheers for hosting this one geoff. A one taker from me.......

Season #460 Ready For The River.

I have two recordings of this song. One is by Lyn Hardy & Jay Unger and the other is by The Cheap Suit Serenaders.

Last edited:
For Season of the ukulele 460, the theme is "Rivers, Lakes, and Valleys". Here's Pink Floyd's "Cirrus Minor", decidedly a river song, for tenor ukulele with singing and whistling; overdubs of secondary vocal, and Ashbory Ubass (off camera).

A tip of the cap to Geoff for hosting!

And I always thought Shenandoah was the name of the river - but apparently not.

But it is John. It flows north out of western Virginia and into the Potomac at Harpers Ferry. Some of the prettiest country I have ever seen in that neck of the woods.

Bang up job on this btw.

I live in Portland, Oregon, bordered on the north by the Columbia River. Back in 1941, Woody Guthrie visited the Columbia River Gorge and wrote some songs about his experiences.

Roll on, y'all.

I recently rediscovered this song when we had to cross the River Leven to go to the garage that deals with problems with our new car,I realised I had heard of the name before

One of the many songwriters I have discovered through the Seasons is Chuck Brodsky, and this one came to mind as soon as I saw the theme.

I've been trying to expand my playing by messing about with chord voicings recently and trying to make my songs a bit more atmospheric. The idea for these lyrics came to me on the school run this morning and they seemed to fit what I've been playing around with. Lyrics in description

Top Bottom