Season 460: Rivers, Lakes and Valleys

The River Tyne separates Newcastle from Gateshead, in the North East of England. This is something of a local anthem, though I don't know if it's very well known outside the UK (I suspect not).

It is perhaps more about life on the dole on Tyneside than about the river itself, but it doesn't half mention the river a lot, so I'm going to claim it fits!

I think it was also an exercise in alliteration. Listen to the beautiful poetry in the last verse especially...

Well that's day 2 done - at least here in the UK. 16 entries so far mostly about rivers. I'd love to hear more songs about the other parts of the theme. Keep them all coming.

Hello, Geoff, and thank you for the week! I have been a bit challenged to produce anything as we have had a lot of snow and the satellite dish keeps freezing, meaning that there is no Internet. HOWEVER, I managed to get this done today. I am assuming that waterfalls are allowed since, without rivers, they would not exist. This is a particularly silly song from a lovely film of 1933, called "Footlight Parade." (I was trying to imagine what it would be like to have a romantic assignation in the vicinity of a waterfall and decided it might be a bit challenging. It's rather short, but I was getting far too wet to do any more.)

Since Geoff is hoping for more songs about things other than rivers, I tried to think of songs about ponds or dams. Then this song came to mind, about the dangers of venturing too far from your own little pond.

The specific version that came to mind was the one from The Muppet Show, which means I'm now down the youtube rabbit hole of Muppet Show songs and sketches. There are worse places to be.

End of day 3 and six more songs added. Once again a varied selection from gentle to up front and lively.

Ahoy everybody and holiday greetings.
The past few weeks have been a bit mad and I have found little time for ukeing. I realized yesterday thet I had missed a few more weeks than I thought I had so I jumped to and did a 'valley' song this morning.
Here is Coolio's Gangstas Paradise

Japanese video game music is a genre unto itself with some absolutely phenomenal composers working within it. This is one of the more famous pieces, Gerudo Valley from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Sadly I never played Ocarina when it was originally released, and by the time I tried the remaster 20 years later it just didn't have the impact on me it should have. But this is an awesome piece with some real Spanish influence in it. A lot of fun to play, and I imagine would be a good warm up for practice.

Cheers for this week Geoff, I've found myself leaving my comfort zone a bit and I've really appreciated that.

I thought I wasn't going to do another one, but then I realised I was on a streak of doing TMBG songs and was about to break it... I had to start digging into B sides and EP tracks to find anything that might fit the theme, but eventually I remembered this one. It's originally by Meat Puppets, but the TMBG version is the one I know.

Whirlpools could live in lots of places, but this one lives in a pond and goes off to explore the world. A rather strange song, but a fun one. The Meat Puppets original has one more (even stranger) verse.

Spoon River by Michael Smith.
I first heard this song in the 70s sung by Bob Gibson & Hamilton Camp.
I've had a chance to talk to Michael Smith a few times about his songs and I'm a huge fan.

Get Happy, music by Harold Arlen, lyrics by Ted Koehler, 1930. Judy Garland had a big hit with this song from the move Summer Stock, 1950. The river connection is tenuous, as it is in the lyrics but not the title. I hope to have one more this week that has River in the title. Thanks for another interesting theme, Geoff!

SOTU 460 - "Brokedown Palace," written by Robert Hunter and Jerry Garcia (1970). Another song from the Grateful Dead's album "American Beauty." that I thought fit this season's theme well. Thanks to Kevin for helping out. Wish I could have got him to sing more...

I sit here in the chaotic remains of 5-year-residence apartment, 3 hours before the moving truck shows up. Today, I'm moving to Mandalay, 700 km to the north. It will take 3 vehicles to satisfy lock-down requirements, the 3rd being an actual ambulance to take me to the Quarantine Arms Resort and Internment Center.

I managed one last video. From U Shwe Hman Street, in the lovely Sanchaung township of Yangon, I bring you a lake song...

My contribution this week is a song developed with my band "The Saturday Blues Project" called "Down to the River" in which the depressed protagonist muses on what has made him want to throw himself into the rushing waters. Check out our electric version on Spotify.
Hope you enjoy:

Hello again, Geoff! Having great trouble with the Internet this week because of the snow. This was the view from the lounge window this morning ... you will notice that the world seems to be on its side!

20201210_100933.jpg

It has just begun to thaw and since the weather is supposed to be improving, I hope I will have the chance to listen to everyone else's contributions without horrible buffering. Anyway, I managed to do this today ....

Top Bottom