Harp Ukulele

Sometimes they do have one, two or even four strings running up the harp section. It just makes more sense to have those base strings running up the harp, akin to the hollow neck on a Blackbird, which really does help the my Clara project.

I've just never been blown away by them when I've heard them played. Just a base string pluck every once in awhile. It's also very likely that I just never heard a virtuoso play one so that may account for my neutral reaction to them.

The models without a harp string are a mystery. Just how much sound could that amplify anyway?

Look at this one by Anuenue. I've got to say, it's a whole lot of instrument!

https://theukulelesite.com/anuenue-harp-ukulele-iii-e.html

Bluesy

All the harp ukes I've seen have strings on the harp, usually four in a lower register to fill out the sound.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

On the 'original' harp ukuleles, made by the elusive luthier Chris Knutsen on the West Coast in the 1910s and 1920s, there were no extra strings on the hollow arms, so they probably were there for adding resonance and volume. Later versions by other luthiers almost all have extra 'bass' strings on the arm, usually unfretted and thus rightfully deserving of the 'harp' prefix.

All the harp ukes I've seen have strings on the harp, usually four in a lower register to fill out the sound.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Funny. Most that I've seen have no strings. That's why I posted this question.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested Bruce Wei Arts is selling a harp uke on eBay for $1400 plus shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bruce-Wei-...590063?hash=item48f666fdaf:g:AY4AAOSwxp1f5qsz

Bruce Wei Arts Harp Uke.jpg

Top Bottom