Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chords That Make You Fret

Quote Originally Posted by dgame View Post
    No worries, I would like to see a ukulele chord chart that avoids duplicate notes.That would be interesting
    Yes, and of course there are probably a lot of folks who like the unison/duplicate notes in some chords. Getting them to sound precisely in tune can be a problem, however. Maybe I need to be a little less finicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I can't play any chords that require a lot of stretch. My pinkie finger is way too short for my others. It's a wonder I can play any stringed instruments at all. It made me play a lot of flat notes on the fiddle, and made piano very hard.
    When I play the G#, I have to play it X343, for example.
    The F minor flummoxes me if i have to grab it quickly.
    Keep at it, Nickie! Eventually you'll find "workarounds" to most of the tricky areas! By the way, that G# that you designated as "X343"... I've noticed that in certain applications, if you go ahead and let the first string ring out (in open position-- "0343"), that results in a really pretty chord in its own right (although I'm not sure what its name would be)!

EDIT: I should have said "let the fourth string ring out..." (that is, the G string).
    Last edited by Bill Sheehan; 02-12-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Keep at it, Nickie! Eventually you'll find "workarounds" to most of the tricky areas! By the way, that G# that you designated as "X343"... I've noticed that in certain applications, if you go ahead and let the first string ring out (in open position-- "0343"), that results in a really pretty chord in its own right (although I'm not sure what its name would be)!
    That's an Abmaj7. And I like the X343 shape as well. I use it a lot for C, X787, and of course G, X232. And if I had to play an F minor low on the fret board, I think I would just play 101X.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    That's an Abmaj7. And I like the X343 shape as well. I use it a lot for C, X787, and of course G, X232. And if I had to play an F minor low on the fret board, I think I would just play 101X.
    Thanks, Ripock! By the way, I think I goofed a couple of posts above, when I referred to letting the "first" string ring out in open position; I should have said let the "fourth" (or G) string ring out in open position!

Bb and B really bug me if I need them quickly. D often ends up buzzing if I am not careful, depending on the ukulele; I actually prefer it as a 2225 barred chord.

I have some exercises to do for those. I have been playing for over 3 months now - why am I not already perfect?

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

I always have trouble with the Dm9 / FM7 chords, same chord shape. It's 2413. I have trouble getting my ring finger close enough to the 4th fret. I can play it, but it always seems to slow me down.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I think it's interesting how different everybody's fingers are.

I find Bb and B to be fairly easy. I used to be slow getting to them, but have gotten better. 2225 is neat, but really awkward for me. D and D7 are two of my favorite chords! Super easy for me the way my fingers work.

Dm9... wow, the first position of that one is literally impossible for me. 5415. Can't do it. Too much of a spread for me by one fret. Alternate: 5505. That's a bit easier for me. But... maybe need to tune up. I hate the sound of that chord. I'd probably change it to something else! D7sus4, now there's a sweet chord.

Lately, I'm finding a lot of songs that use Em and B7. Simple chords, but I really have a hard time reaching those shapes QUICKLY.

How 'bout Bm? Simple barre chord, right? 4222. I can't do it. My fingers just won't. I can reach around and grab the 4 with my thumb, but I don't like doing that. I opt to just drop the 4 and strum around it. x222 works for me.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Do you know about the easy Em to B7 switch in the first position? You just move everything over a string. Em=0432; B7=4320. That B7 is a great shape with a root on the G string. The only problem is that you cannot really move the shape. Well...you can, but it hurts. If I play C7 using this shape, there is such a stretch between the index and ring fingers that I just refuse to do it. It isn't worth it to me. Same thing with VegasGeorge's major7 chord with a root on the E string. I repudiate and refuse to acknowledge that maj7 shape. I have four other maj7 shapes that I regularly use.

There are occasions when it is better to reject the 'easy' way to play a chord in favour of one that may seem more demanding. The easiest chord of all is Am7, using all the open strings, but I often prefer to use 0453. Sometimes I just think it sounds better in the sequence of chords, and it often makes more sense, to me, if the other chords are in the same area of the fret board.

It is not a moveable chord, of course, but if you move that shape up to 0564 you have a sweet Gm7b5, and up one more to 0675 gives you a lovely alternative GM7. All very handy!

John Colter
    Last edited by ukantor; 05-20-2021 at 11:51 PM.

excellent point. My default Am7 is X433 because I don't like the timbre of open strings.

Thread Information