Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Chords That Make You Fret

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    Do you know about the easy Em to B7 switch in the first position? You just move everything over a string. Em=0432; B7=4320.
    Yeah, I'm hip. Those are the positions that I use. Easy to make the change from one to the other. Just hard for me to make that shape without thinking about it. Getting better, though.

I repudiate and refuse to acknowledge that
    Yep, I'm that way with a lot of chord shapes. Some of them just get a big ol' nope from my fingers!
    What could possibly go wrong?

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Since we're talking about chords, more or less in general, I thought I'd throw this in. You know how some tunes have a regular harmonic rhythm? Think of a tune in 4/4 time, with chords changing on every beat. Then comes a measure where the chord changes skip a beat, where it calls for the same chord for two consecutive beats. I've found that's often a perfect opportunity to switch to a different inversion of the same chord. It has the effect of preserving that harmonic rhythm. Just a thought that might help.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Still the damned E chord.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Eb in the first position as it's easy to get it out of tune on my RISA. Sooooo, I've resorted to barring it on the 3rd fret.

"Eb in the first position as it's easy to get it out of tune on my RISA. Sooooo, I've resorted to barring it on the 3rd fret"

Yep, with the pinky on the 8th. Me too!

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    "Eb in the first position as it's easy to get it out of tune on my RISA. Sooooo, I've resorted to barring it on the 3rd fret"

Yep, with the pinky on the 8th. Me too!
    Without having my uke handy, I'm thinking it's a pinky on the 6th. The 8th seems like too big a stretch if I'm picturing it in my mind.

Sorry - you're right, of course! I should have re-read that before posting.

John Colter

I also hate the Bm chord - it's getting that bar across those three strings to be nice and tight! Can never seem to apply enough pressure, tho I have been able to reach the top string with my ring finger! But the biggest problem I have with it - and any other chords that need to bar a few strings, or if they're particularly convoluted - is then changing to the next chord quick enough. That, and my pinkie finger refuses to do as its told, so any four-finger chords are a bit of a mystery to me right now xD
    Last edited by Elin; 06-02-2021 at 05:31 AM.

Hi Elin,

Your post makes me wonder if the strings on your uke are set at the optimum height at the nut/first fret. Making a successful barre/bar close to the nut should not be that difficult. Forgive me if you already know this, but try pressing each string down at the third fret, and checking how much clearance there then is between the string and the first fret. The clearance should be minimal - no more than the thickness of a piece of paper.

I hope this helps,

John Colter

Thanks Ukantor - a barred Eb is such a good idea for me since I find it awkward to get to quickly. Odd that I never thought of it by myself considering I prefer to play the D chord 2225.

Thread Information