Uke and Piano

Captain America

Reaction score
I'm taking piano lessons. Seriously this time.

So I don't have long fingernail on the index finger, so my uke playing has been much less than usual.

What should I do?

How long is long?
What pieces are you playing on the piano?

I play both and guitar as well, I use my finger pads to picksometimes a thumb pick on gito if playing slide blues. I don't (with respect) understand the need for nails , but I am prepared to be advised. So maybe either get finger picks ,which limits the direction of stroke. What style uke do you play ?But long nails on the piano are just a click clack of irritation. :(

I just leave my index finger nail a bit longer to act like a pick, but can't play the piano like that.

Ukulele or guitar is for me something I can strum and sing with, much better than with a keyboard.

A thumbpick is a nice alternative when like index finger nail is cut. You will need short nails with piano thats true.

But even with no nails you can strum and sing at home.

Play the piano flat-fingered. I've seen pros do that. Have you ever seen women with long fingernails type on a computer? Flat-fingered. When I play around with a keyboard, I never have my fingers pointed straight down.

I just leave my index finger nail a bit longer to act like a pick, but can't play the piano like that.

Captain, over the years I've actually grown to prefer a much shorter nail on my index strumming finger. It doesn't give me quite the "jangle" that a longer nail might give, but at times I felt that "jangle" sounded kind of abrasive to my ear. I really like the smoother, more consistent sound that a shorter index fingernail provides.

I play with an index fingernail that is just barely longer than the tip of my finger. To both pick strings and strum.

If you can't play that way, I heartily recommend Alaska Guitar Finger Picks that come in 3 adult sizes. They are plastic and can be trimmed to whatever length you like. It's available on Amazon and at many music stores.

Good luck with your piano lessons. Just knowing where the keys are really helped me with music theory.

I usually play my Ukulele with a pretty short fingernail. I guess I dont get the perfect strum either. But I dont see that you should need flamenco Style nails to strum an ukulele, or any length that is in the way of piano playing.

I usually play my Ukulele with a pretty short fingernail. I guess I dont get the perfect strum either. But I dont see that you should need flamenco Style nails to strum an ukulele, or any length that is in the way of piano playing.

Well-stated, Viking!

Top Bottom