Covid 19 vaccination

John Colter

It ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have previously said that I did not want to be one of the first to receive the Covid 19 jab, so when, at five o'clock, I got a phone call offering me the vaccination, I had to make a quick decision. I said, "Yes". It will be done a week tomorrow with the follow-up jab early in January.

I'm still slightly wary about being one of the early adopters but, on balance, I think I made the right choice. Heck, at my age (82) I've not got much to lose!

John Colter

I think the choice is a good one. The high rate of effectiveness combined with the "minor" side effects almost makes it a no brainer. It is the best hope for a return to some semblance of normalcy.

"Wow, what makes you a member of this privileged elite?"

All I know is, they started a national program of vaccination this morning, (Tuesday, 8th Dec) and the elderly are being prioritized. I got a phone call from my local medical practice at about 5pm asking if I would like to receive the jab. It took me about five seconds to decide!

John Colter

Best of luck! Hope all goes well

Congratulations! Very good news for you.

Bluesy.

Many thanks, All, for the good wishes. I feel like a pioneer.

(but you can never find one when you need one)

John Colter

I've lost two family members to Covid and a third beat it (my sweet, great aunt at age 98).

I am so happy for you to receive this jab and wish you the best of luck.

Good for you John!
Your access to the vaccine makes me happy! Congrats!

Pioneer indeed :)

Your bravery is to be praised.

Hopefully all goes well, and by your example, other people can follow, and maybe we can all beat this terrible virus.

Fingers crossed!

I had the first Covid vaccination this afternoon. It was exactly like having a flu jab - no response of any kind, so far. Everybody had been given time specific appointments, but there was a queue about fifty yards long (non-socially distanced!) and a wait of about half an hour before being dealt with, then the mandatory wait of fifteen minutes after the jab before leaving the premises. Thankfully it was not too cold, and not raining. It could have been a lot worse!

If my head develops spikes, or I grow an extra limb, I'll let y'all know.

John Colter

Wow what makes you a member of this privileged elite?

More so, the "protected-at-risk" ....
Perhaps your reply was tongue-in-cheek. If not, there's nothing 'elite' about protecting yourself, your family, your friends, and respecting your community, eh :)

Glad both of you were able to receive the vaccine.

Today, I had the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine (three weeks after the initial dose). Everything hunky dory so far. Nothing to report except that the arthritis in my wrists has been noticeably more painful. That may have nothing at all to do with the vaccination - arthritis does tend to get progressively worse. It could be from opening too many wine bottles over the Festering Season.

John Colter

I think that taking the vaccine in your case is a wise decision.
My parents are about 10 years younger than you but I will advise them to take it as well once it will be available as they are in a more at risk group.

Regarding your arthritis being more painful, you should definitely notify this to Pfizer. It might be "normal", it might be related to something else but it might also be a side effect. I work in the pharma industry and we are asked to notify any adverse event reported to us after using one of our products, whatever its cause. This will be tracked by their Pharmacovigilance department.

Wow what makes you a member of this privileged elite?

I wish I was privileged. :(

Vaccinations vary widely, depending on location. It seems to be easy to get the shot in Florida. Not so much in NY. Lowe's is allowed to stay open because it's an essential business, but the people who work there aren't essential workers, so they won't be able to get the vaccine for months.

My only privilege is that I live in England and am more than eighty years old. As usual, the service varies considerably depending upon where in England you live. My elder sister and her husband are both in a worse state of health than me, but they have heard nothing from their Doctor. The National Health Service aim to have 13 million people vaccinated by the middle of February.

John Colter (I'm Just A lucky So-And-So)

Top Bottom