FS: Curly myrtle and redwood tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwizum

Reaction score
The forum has a limit of 4 photos, I'll post more in a follow up - and can take more specific photos if anyone wants to see anything in particular.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Handmade tenor ukulele featuring a redwood top and curly myrtle back and sides. This particular top has a darker orange/brown color and it compliments the curly myrtle back and sides well. The back has a mottled tight curl and a V-shaped chocolate brown pattern that is very striking. The sides are evenly curly and really pop.

The neck is a laminate of curly maple, walnut, and black cherry. The fretboard is ziricote with ebony and maple binding and paua abalone dot markers on the front and side at 5, 7, 10, and 12. The headplate is curly maple veneer with a walnut veneer underneath to create a darker accent line around the perimeter. I like ziricote for fretboards, it's a good ebony alternative and has really interesting black spiderweb veins running through it when viewed close up. The body features a paua abalone rosette, maple and curly myrtle end graft, and maple and walnut binding on the top. The bridge is ziricote.

This ukulele has geared Grover tuners, bone saddle and nut, and medium-jumbo frets. The nut width is 34mm and string spacing at the bridge is 41mm. The neck has a slim C profile.

The finish is hand-rubbed oil and wax, which gives a really nice warm satin/semigloss glow, and a clean, fast feel on the neck. The finish has been applied without pore filling, so the instrument retains the attractive look and feel of natural polished wood.

It is strung with Martin Fluorocarbon strings and the action is set at 2mm at the 12th fret. The uke has a bright open tone, plenty of volume, and lots of sustain. The action on this one is very low, it's a great fast player. If you like a slightly higher action, let me know and I can set it up that way for you.

$540 for the ukulele and $80 for shipping. The shipping fee includes a hardshell case. If you're outside of the continental US, please reach out so we can discuss shipping options. Local pickup is available if you're in the central New York area and we can work out including the case if you want that as well.

I have a few others that were built alongside this uke - two more with redwood and myrtle, two with granadillo and adirondack spruce, and one with walnut and adirondack spruce. Let me know if you're interested in those. You can also check out my recently created facebook page, in my signature below - this recent batch are all shown there as well as other projects I've done recently, and there are some in-progress build photos as well for people who like that kind of thing!

Attachments

• IMG_20201204_132338.jpg
    IMG_20201204_132338.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_20201204_132427.jpg
    IMG_20201204_132427.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_20201204_132544.jpg
    IMG_20201204_132544.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_20201204_132650.jpg
    IMG_20201204_132650.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_20201204_132520.jpg
    IMG_20201204_132520.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 30
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20201204_132520.jpg
    IMG_20201204_132520.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_20201204_132829.jpg
    IMG_20201204_132829.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_20201204_132922.jpg
    IMG_20201204_132922.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_20201204_132630.jpg
    IMG_20201204_132630.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 721
Here's a quick sample I just recorded of this uke. Just noodling a bit - I tried a couple different styles/dynamics to give a feel for the tone and response. And to note: if the uke looks strung upside down, it's because I'm left handed. I promise it'll be correct when held the other way around for all you righties out there!

Just for reference, here's that uke's brother (also currently available, same price). Same construction and wood choices, but this one has a different headstock veneer and is currently strung with Aquila Reds.

I built four myrtle/redwood ukes in this batch - two have sold since posting this, but the one in my original post and it's brother in the second video featured here are still available. And I have three others ready to go right now: two curly granadillo rosewood and adk spruce, and one walnut and adk spruce. Let me know if anyone wants photos or details on any of them.

Thank you!

The redwood and myrtle tenor in the second video - with the Aquila Reds - has sold. The one in the original post above is still available.

Beautiful woods, and excellent pricing! I'm glad to see they're selling so quickly ~

Hi, I saw your ads on Reverb, too, for these lovely instruments — stunning and they sound superb! Can you build with a radius fretboard?

Hi, I saw your ads on Reverb, too, for these lovely instruments — stunning and they sound superb! Can you build with a radius fretboard?

Thanks! and yes - though I typically do my ukes with flat fretboards, I build other styles of instruments with radiused boards (guitars, basses etc) and have jigs set up for 10 and 12 inch radiuses.

Thanks! and yes - though I typically do my ukes with flat fretboards, I build other styles of instruments with radiused boards (guitars, basses etc) and have jigs set up for 10 and 12 inch radiuses.

Awesome, cool, thanks for letting me know, dwizum!

Your ukes are beautiful!

Your ukes are beautiful!

Thank you!

The redwood and myrtle uke in the original post here has been sold, so I'll close the thread. I do still have a few others in stock (spruce and walnut, and two spruce and curly rosewood) - if anyone's interested feel free to reach out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom