New Ovation uke..

jer

Reaction score
I was just browsing around Sweetwater and came across this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-acoustic-electric-ukulele-natural-exotic-koa

Looks like the same type of design they used with the ukes they used to make. The older ones were under the Applause name...which is the lower end of Ovation.
Interesting.
I assume the koa top is laminate.

Just thought I'd share for anyone possibly interested...or at least interested in looking. I think some other company copied the design after Ovation/Applause stopped making them years ago, but I can't remember who.
Note: Sweetwater does not include setup on instruments under roughly $300.

Barry Maz gave 8.1 out of 10 in his review of Ovation UCS10P in early October, possibly the same or similar uke renamed for different territories.
A few years ago I had the non pick-up Applause version.
It was a good quality instrument, and like the current products, had good reviews, but we just didn't gel so I gave it away.
Baz's comment on the "sturdy" build would be similar to my Applause, making it not very responsive unless played loudly.
Re your point about set-up, mine was spot-on out of the box.

Vintage

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up, you two. I hadn't seen those videos. I wasn't planning on buying one....but I'm not going to say I won't either...I know better. ha.
I saw one review from 2018 too. So I guess it's new to Sweetwater but not new. I thought Ovation/Applause had quit making these things a long time ago and never picked back up.
I remember trying one of the tenors. I loved the look. It was a pretty good instrument. I can't remember if I played the sopranos. Actually wait..I did have the one with the leaf soundholes once I think. It doesn't stand out in my mind as great or bad or I would've remembered better...but must've been decent. I think I sold it to someone on FMM years ago... I have owned and played the Flea and Flight. The Fleas and Flukes are well built, but something in the sound doesn't do it for me...The Flight TUS35 I thought was a fantastic deal. The one I played on had a nice sound and setup was close enough.

Top Bottom