Tuning down a (re-entrant) concert (with tenor strings?)

Yes fifths tuning puts the range of linear four ukulele tuned strings into three strings, and then adds one that is still five half steps lower. It is not pleasing to the ear.

As an update: I tuned the Aquila Red Concerts up to gCEA. They work best in the tightness they're intended to. I will in the near future try the Red Tenors (A/Bb tuning, I presume) and then some reentrant dGBE Baritones (G/Gb tuning, perhaps) I ordered from Living Water. I don't know if would have found any others, and their postage is cheap. Thanks to Brexit though, I have to keep the order value low!

Update: The Red Tenors are now on. Tuned up to A-tuning, which is the first one to ring well. I started from G-tuning and worked it up in half-step increments about a day at a time.

The uke is very loud now, which probably is good, but I find the lowest note, A3, is a bit too dominating. Fret it a couple frets down and the balance shifts back to "normal".

It makes me wonder, if there is a strong resonance in the body at around A3-A#3. I don't know much about uke/instrument building, but I am under the impression that when luthiers design the resonances, they tend to avoid "tuning" the body to have the heaviest resonance frequency at certain notes... I suppose the ones coming from the open strings. Better to go a bit below the lowest string with the body to avoid the dominance - or something? If the strongest resonance comes from a fretted string, the difference might not be as detectable but probably still there, when comparing the adjacent frets.

If I'm right, I'll have to stick with the standard tuning or at least not drop more than a half step. Whether that will ring out better with a tenor or concert set is up for test - if I dare tune the tenor strings so close to the concert ones...

Top Bottom