Do I want a Concert-size Uke? Why?

Tom Karol

Reaction score
Coming to Ukulele as a long-time guitarist, I've focused exclusively on Tenors, because that was the largest size that employed g/G C E A tuning. I have no interest in getting a Baritone (too guitar-like, and I have a Plectrum Banjo tuned that way anyway) or a Soprano (too small). Should I consider getting a Concert? Why? What would it give me that my Tenors don't?

Coming to Ukulele as a long-time guitarist, I've focused exclusively on Tenors, because that was the largest size that employed g/G C E A tuning. I have no interest in getting a Baritone (too guitar-like, and I have a Plectrum Banjo tuned that way anyway) or a Soprano (too small). Should I consider getting a Concert? Why? What would it give me that my Tenors don't?

It will give you variation in size and a slightly different sound. I like a variety of sizes, so I have them all, but not baritone. Don't expect anything radically different from a concert.

If you don't know if you want it, you probably dont want it bad enough.

A concert is closer to a soprano than a tenor in tension and somewhere in the middle in sound profile.
If I played tenor and wanted something significantly different in my uke-stable, I would go for a small bodied concert or a long neck soprano. Try to get something that will bring the traditional staccato sound without cramping the fretboard too much.
The longer sustain of a tenor can be muted, but the quick attack of the smaller ukulele you can't get with a large bodied tenor.

I mostly play concert and tenor ukes with nice warm sustain, but my long neck soprano often comes out when I want to strum a simple 4/4 strum for a jazz standard or want to try some clawhammer technique. Not that I am good at that.

I highly recommend that you try out several concert scale ukes before you decide. Guitar players typically do not prefer them, although my bestie went from guitar to Concert scale ukuleles.

I have come to realize that the Concert size doesn't do much for me. For that typical Ukulele sound, I'll grab a Soprano, whereas most of the time, I want a warmer and fuller sound and play a tenor or baritone. If you want to add a different voice, then I suppose a long-neck Soprano would be a better option than a Concert.

Like you, I prefer tenor. I have found that it's easier to achieve excellent intonation with a tenor versus a concert.

I only buy concerts to give to those of my grandkids & great-grandkids who have small hands. For those with full-sized hands, they get a tenor.

By the way, you can get GCEA string sets for baritones.

I've owned accoustic and electric guitars, but uke is the instrument that resonated with me. My first uke experiece was a friend's ovation concert and the first uke I owned was a tenor. I now have mostly tenors, but also a couple baris, concerts and sopranos. If you are a uke enthusiast, I definitely recommend getting a concert. The changes from tenor to concert are minor. String tension is closer to soprano like UkingViking mentioned - several brands like Martin sell concert/soprano strings as the same set. Concerts allow you to hit more range on the neck without sacrificing as much range as a soprano. If you have smaller hands, you might really like a concert uke. Concerts are more portable than tenors. In terms of sound it really depends on the instrument. My KoAloha concert is just as loud as my Pono mahogany tenor and actually warmer in sound - both are strung with Martin Flourocarbons. And, sometimes it's just nice to have some variety in your instruments.

On the flipside, you're not really missing much by not getting a concert.

I think concerts don't get their due because their scale makes their sound supremely adaptable, depending on the builder, the wood, etc. I have one that sounds indistinguishable from a tenor, I had one that was indistinguishable from a soprano, and I have one that has what I'd consider the classic concert sound described by Ukecaster. Even the scale, which you'd think would be its defining characteristic, can vary from builder to builder, from the classic 14.75" all the way to 16"--and I don't know why. Sometimes a person's opinion is determined by playing a very small number of, or just one, concert ukulele. So what any particular concert would give you that your current tenor doesn't depends entirely on the individual concert, and the tenor you're comparing it to. One easy answer to that question that's pretty much, though not always, true--especially given Tiny Tenors, etc.--is that you'll get a uke that's smaller than a tenor. That's a consideration that matters to a lot of people. I hope you can try a few concerts and see if any of them give you something you didn't know you were missing till you tried it.

Top Bottom