Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kanile'a Platinum 2021 and new D Series

Default Kanile'a Platinum 2021 and new D Series

Kamaka HF-4DC - Kanile'a SUS B DLX - Kanile'a K-1B - Pono MGTP5-PC

Their live showcase is still on. That new Platinum sure looks great. Souza, Kamaka, and Okami families are such huge contributors to ukulele community and I feel so honoured to have met their heads and other members in person.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    Their live showcase is still on. That new Platinum sure looks great. Souza, Kamaka, and Okami families are such huge contributors to ukulele community and I feel so honoured to have met their heads and other members in person.
    Yup, am watching. I think a D Series Super Tenor with a Sinker Redwood top is going to be extremely hard to resist.
    Kamaka HF-4DC - Kanile'a SUS B DLX - Kanile'a K-1B - Pono MGTP5-PC

The curving down of the bass side and upper bout sound holes are the big features of the 2021 Platinum. It was really interesting seeing the required changes to bracing and lightening of the top. Lots of design and development to get there. And that magnetic back access plate was cool.
    04FF9FA8-1A1A-424D-A80E-E8D554229E08.jpg
    E3ED23C3-5832-4069-9D53-55A8E0F4D8DB.jpg
    48B77854-B1C0-4B9B-84C6-155F51A8DF0F.jpg
    Last edited by Doc_J; 12-12-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

I'm watching, but I absolutely love the "D" series. It will be a boomer. The are raising the bar with the gorgeous wood options. The offset sound hole really lets the glory of the wood grain flow without interruption. I love the sound of that sinker redwood. That's just the way I like them. It's like a wonderful contralto singing: rich, deep and mello. Yum.

It will take me awhile to get accustomed to the 2021 Platinum. Not sure what I think of the flame sound holes. I do like some bling, but the design may be a touch too busy for me.

What a leap forward with the video presentation. Love that.

Very tempting. Very expensive. Very gorgeous.

Bluesy.

I'd love to spend a little time with the new curve on the platinum that he said was 10x better then an armrest. Price is more then I'm willing to spend, but just to have hope that it will be available in a reasonably priced model in 1-2 years (if it's that good).

I *really* like the looks of the offset D sound hole, but wondering if the looks of the D series are really any better then a KSR that is $1000 or more less (sound-wise).

On flip side, I think I'm setting in at a Tenor with a 1.5" width - and if I'm going to lay out the money for a once in 10+ year investment - it has the looks, side port and the armrest that I'd prefer.

Will probably have to wait for reviews on the new ones & see what people said. Funny, considering the stream joke - if they said they were available this year by Xmas - I may have given in right away

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesy View Post
    Not sure what I think of the flame sound holes. I do like some bling, but the design may be a touch too busy for me.
    Bluesy.
    In case you didn't get the chance to watch the whole video yet, Kahiau said that the sound holes are Koa leaves. Does that make it any better than flames?

I know! I look at it and keep seeing flames for some inane reason and I can't shake it.

I really enjoyed seeing the bracing changes they had to make for the magnetic panel and the interior part of the comfort fade. All of those tiny honeycombs. All beautifully engineered.

It's hard to turn away from these. The other companies are going to have to step up their marketing b/c the presentation was well done. Provided info on the key features and innovations, yet retained the personal touch. It left me wanting to hear a more complete sound sample.

Bluesy.

The price though - yikes! Its approaching Petros and Grimes territory.

I'd love a Kanilea, but that pin bridge is a deal breaker for me, ugh!
    And the prices, well.....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information