Season 461 - Happy Holidays

Jim, I think you are selling yourself short. I know you asked for a Canadian to do this, I hope you’re willing to settle for an Acadian instead.

I only asked for a Canuck because I figured they would know it, but I guess it's crossed the border. You did a fine job Andy!
I never met Rick Moranis, who plays Bob, but Doug McKenzie, (Dave Thomas) grew up in the town of Dundas where I grew up. He was a couple of years younger than I was (probably still is), but he and my brother Bob and a few other McMaster University students received an OFY (Opportunities For Youth) grant in the sixties and produced a newspaper called NorthWord. I jammed with his brother Ian at the music store where he worked and we played at some of the same Hootenannies in church basements and school gyms in the sixties. They were both very funny guys when they were teenagers (They still are.).
Thanks a lot Andy. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Suddenly It's Christmas by Loudon Wainwright III

I was inspired to sing this song after hearing Steve Philips sing I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day.

The hat was a gift from my friend Arnie who owned the farm where the Shelter Valley Folk Festival was held.

Here's Arnie:
Arnie Henkel.jpg

Last edited:
There aren't a lot of great Chanukah songs - most of the great jewish composers wrote most of the great Christmas songs - but there are a few! Here's a chord-melody medley of some favorites (and filled out by a non-Chanukah song that was called out in the others' lyrics - I couldn't resist!). Can you recognize them all?

Hey gang!
I know this has been one hell of a year, but just a few more days to go. Like Merle says, "If we make it through December, everything's gonna be alright." Looking at my YouTube channel and I realized that it's been over two years since my last entry. Hope to see everyone on here on a more regular basis. Happy Holidays!

This is Dave McMillin. I just want to say "Merry Christmas" and how are all of you seasonistas out there in UU. I'd like to contribute a song, but the holidays have gotten stressful for me and my parents. I guess I can say it was a very crazy and haggard (don't forget to mention scary) year because of the Covid 19 situation and the presidential election. Hopefully, we'll be over this pandemic and go back to doing our usual routine as soon as possible. Think happy thoughts.

Also, I want to say Thank You for letting me into this group. You guys are such a joyful and happy group to be around. Once again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Signed,

Dave McMillin

In accordance with the bylaws, Season of the Ukulele 461 asks for a song of the holiday season. This is a version of the traditional song (re) arranged by Jake Winkler and usually sung by the Seattle Girls Choir in their holiday concert. Perhaps some of our English friends can answer the question raised in the song.

The virtual concert today did not include this song, but was tremendous anyway. Available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZCgKUx11G0&feature=youtu.be.

Hey gang!
I know this has been one hell of a year, but just a few more days to go. Like Merle says, "If we make it through December, everything's gonna be alright." Looking at my YouTube channel and I realized that it's been over two years since my last entry. Hope to see everyone on here on a more regular basis. Happy Holidays!

Happy holidays to you Philly! Glad to see you back in the seasons, and sounding as smooth as ever. This certainly contributed to the quality of my December. I couldn’t add your vid to the playlist bc it is set for kids.

I hope all of you look up in the thread and give this a listen.

This is Dave McMillin. I just want to say "Merry Christmas" and how are all of you seasonistas out there in UU. I'd like to contribute a song, but the holidays have gotten stressful for me and my parents. I guess I can say it was a very crazy and haggard (don't forget to mention scary) year because of the Covid 19 situation and the presidential election. Hopefully, we'll be over this pandemic and go back to doing our usual routine as soon as possible. Think happy thoughts.

Also, I want to say Thank You for letting me into this group. You guys are such a joyful and happy group to be around. Once again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Signed,

Dave McMillin

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well Dave. I hope you are feeling in a good enough place to join in the seasons again soon. Happy New Year!

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well Dave. I hope you are feeling in a good enough place to join in the seasons again soon. Happy New Year!

Oh, I won't be leaving any time soon. Hopefully, some song will come up in my head. See ya, Andy.

A holiday song with no mention of the holiday !!

Let’s go to Bakersfield! Happy holidays, everyone, and thanks for hosting, Andy!

It is still dark here in the Bay Area, CA, and probably will be for a little bit yet on this year’s winter solstice. But the witching hour has still passed in Hawaii, which means that Season 461 of the ukulele is officially closed.

I have some listening left to do before I get a summary up. Thank you all for sharing a little of your holiday spirit. Whatever holiday you celebrate this time of year, I hope you had or will have a wonderful one.

And one million apologies to Charley, Liz B., and Ylle for missing your submissions for earlier in the week. If you have an extra minute or three this week check out their versions of Cicha Noc (Silent Night), Little Road to Bethlehem, and Tread Softly to the Stable, respectively.

Phil’s video has also been added to the PL. Thanks for changing the class Phil and, again, so glad to see you pop up on the seasons again.

And I have broken one of our other bylaws to add the late entry from UkeNation. I have filed the proper forms, in triplicate, to get the necessary approvals retroactively. I just hope I jaded the right cover sheet.

Thanks again to you all, and happiest of holidays.

Top Bottom