Season 461 - Happy Holidays

Desert Pavement

Rock Doctor
UU VIP
Reaction score
AMENDED I was bluntly informed last week in a friendly way that according to our Bylaws the theme for the last full Season before Christmas Day is prescribed (pesky :rulez:).

So, this Season let's hear songs about the Season. Any winter holiday song will do, whether it is Christmas, Hanukkah, Festivus, Saturnalia, Lunar New Year, Solstice etc., etc., etc. They can be traditional or non, religious or non, parodies, etc., as long as they have to do with end of year Holidays. Originals that fit the theme are also most welcome.

For the writers, if it helps attract your Muse(s), you may also bring songs of celebration or reflection, in keeping with the themes of those late year holidays. OR, in honor of Festivus, you may air your grievances in song.

I did have a different theme in mind, and I like Lynda’s suggestion. SO, you may bring songs by artists who departed this plane of existence during 2020. BUT, these must be alternated with Holiday songs. For example, Sunday you play “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” then Monday you play something by Adam Schlesinger, then Tuesday it is back to Holidays. I will make two playlists.

The Season will run 8 days, beginning Sunday, 13 December at 00:00:01 and ending Sunday, 20 December at 23:59:59.99

Collaborations, multi-tracking, other instruments are welcome, as long as the ukulele is front and center.

All the other usual rules. And remember that there is still an additional day of Geoff's most excellent Season.

No song limit. Though I may be slow on the draw to comment as it is my last week of work before a few weeks of leave.

HOLIDAY PLAYLIST

GONE TOO SOON PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Sorry Andy - really didn’t intend it to come across like that! :(

I didn't take it that way at all Del, honest, but I have a bad tendency of having to needle back a little bit. I am happy to host the Holiday Season and I look forward to your Holiday songs.

Hope your side does well today.

I've done this one several times and I've always gone for a holiday theme, especially as my birthday falls during the week.

happy birthday week, geoff, MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE! and thank you for hosting the party, andy!

i've only been doing the seasons for a hundred million years and i totally still get mixed up as to which is the christmas theme week here - i'd sort of assumed it was the week christmas day fell in, but then del said, lo, put-eth on thy reading glasses, woman, behold - 'tis the last full season before christmas day. and verily 'twas true.

although i'm sure we had at least one year when there wasn't a christmas week? am i dreaming??? mebbe i'll go look and see. but one thing we used to do that seems to have gone out of fashion, is a bonus playlist, mebbe if andy had another theme in mind for this week, he could run a secondary theme for that, with songs for it, going on a bonus playlist??? people who bring more than one vid a week could aim to do a vid or vids for both playlists? people who bring one song could choose which theme to do?

Just in case people only read from where they last left off, the original post has been updated.

Also, winter holiday songs are so familiar I hope that there is a high enough comfort level that anyone who may have been lurking for a while (I did for close to a year) will jump in the pool and contribute a song.

I would like to slip this non-entry in before the start of the official season.

Our good friend, Bobby (and, yes, I am fishing for news of Bobby, so if you are out there, Mr. K., I hope you and your family are doing well) did this on Christmas Day last year and it pretty much blinded me with it's devastating beauty and sadness. It is amazing.

Cheers Andy. Thanks for hosting and offering two options. Most holiday spirited of ya. I think it may have been this time last year I did John Prine's Christmas in Prison. This year it's an Australian equivalent by Paul Kelly. Another bloke writing from prison at Christmas. edit. oh and Christmas is very different in the Southern Hemisphere. Hot. Some of the difference is evident in this song.
Lyrics included as I think they are good ones.

Hello Dan, it's Joe here, I hope you're keeping well
It's the 21st of December, and now they're ringing the last bells
If I get good behaviour, I'll be out of here by July
Won't you kiss my kids on Christmas Day, please don't let 'em cry for me
I guess the brothers are driving down from Queensland and Stella's flying in from the coast
They say it's gonna be a hundred degrees, even more maybe, but that won't stop the roast
Who's gonna make the gravy now? I bet it won't taste the same
Just add flour, salt, a little red wine
And don't forget a dollop of tomato sauce for sweetness and that extra tang
And give my love to Angus and to Frank and Dolly,
Tell 'em all I'm sorry I screwed up this time
And look after Rita, I'll be thinking of her early Christmas morning
When I'm standing in line
I hear Mary's got a new boyfriend, I hope he can hold his own
Do you remember the last one? What was his name again?
(Just a little too much cologne)
And Roger, you know I'm even gonna miss Roger
'Cause there's sure as hell no one in here I want to fight
Oh praise the Baby Jesus, have a Merry Christmas,
I'm really gonna miss it, all the treasure and the trash
And later in the evening, I can just imagine,
You'll put on Junior Murvin and push the tables back
And you'll dance with Rita, I know you really like her,
Just don't hold her too close, oh brother please don't stab me in the back
I didn't mean to say that, it's just my mind it plays up,
Multiplies each matter, turns imagination into fact
You know I love her badly, she's the one to save me,
I'm gonna make some gravy, I'm gonna taste the fat
Tell her that I'm sorry, yeah I love her badly, tell 'em all I'm sorry,
And kiss the sleepy children for me
You know one of these days, I'll be making gravy,
I'll be making plenty, I'm gonna pay 'em all back
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Paul Maurice Kelly

Last edited:

"Christmas in Quarantine"
I wrote this at 5:30 this morning

Christmas in Quarantine 4/4 slowly
Intro [Am] [G] [F] [E7] / [Dm] [E7] [Am] [Am]

[Am] Corona [E7] Virus was [Am] just a [E7]whisper
When [Am] Christmas [E7] came last [Am] year [Am]
A [Am] little [E7] item [Am] in the [E7] news
[Am] T-Was not[E7]hing to [Am] fear [Am]
We [C] sang and [G] laughed and [C] opened [G] gifts
A [F] Norman Rockwell [G] scene
[Am] Now we’re [E7] here [Am] on our [E7] own
Christ[Dm]mas in [E7] quaran[Am]tine

In March we thought we best stay home
For a week or two
When April came the restaurants closed
The movie theatres too
By June we heard of a miracle drug
Hydroxychloroquine
Now we’re here on our own
Christmas in quarantine

[C] [C] [F] [C] / [C] [C] [F] [C] / [Am] [G] [F] [E7] / [Dm] [E7] [Am] [Am]

The grand children are getting taller
We see them all on Zoom
We hope and pray that next Christmas day
We can be in the same room
We must wait for our turn
To get the new vaccine
We are here, all alone
Christmas in quarantine

Here's a Holiday song from someone who we lost this year...

Sorry, I couldn't resist it. Please feel free to sing along :).

And we’re off!

Playlist links have been added to the OP.

Note that if you play a Holiday song by someone who passed this year then I am going to add the video to both playlists.

Thanks for a strong start to the season.

Top Bottom