Review: Ohana Vintage Vita Concert Ukulele VKC-70Cha-te

UkeStuff

Reaction score
A wonderful modern replica by Ohana. Very loud and bright. I would love to see Ohana include a gig bag with their instruments, work on the neck profile, and offer this one in a full solid and gloss version.

The UkeGuide review is long; use the chapters to skip to where you want to go. The One Minute Review is included as well.

Has anyone ever compared one of these to an original? I would be interested to hear how they stack up.

Has anyone ever compared one of these to an original? I would be interested to hear how they stack up.

I was just looking and I couldn't find one. I did see this video from 2014 which talks about its history and then offers an audio recording. That can be used to compare, although they won't be similar audio settings.

I've got 2 of the Soprano sized Vita Ukes - the Mahogany Laminate, which I won, and the Rosewood Laminate, which I bought from a UU member.

I won the first one around 2010-2011 from Making Music Magazine - I'd submitted my name here on UU, and when I got an email telling me that I had won an ukulele, I thought it was SPAM. Until I saw the announcement on their web site.

This was the instrument that got me comfortable playing a soprano neck. (The body is still concert sized, as far as I'm concerned.) Sound-wise, it is a cannon. The spruce top is incredible, and it is comfortable to play. One of my friends made me promise that if I ever decided to part with it, she would get dibs. Another friend bought one after playing mine.

And I bought the Rosewood version from the Forum member because I loved the sound so much.

I am a Hard Shell Case person - I have one concert, and one tenor gig bag, neither of which do I use too often. But the original Ohana Vita had a decent enough HSC that fit just right - and was the perfect case for my Firefly Banjo Uke, as well. (So I have 3 Vita Soprano Uke Hard Cases.)

I played one of the original Smeck Vita Ukes years ago, and was blown away by it, but it was out of my price range. So I'm thrilled with the two I have.

Have fun playing that review model!

-Kurt​

Last edited:
The reason I really like Ohana is their vintage series specifically. I love that there's a company that produces these replica vintage ukes that almost no one else is doing. The Vita uke and the Nunes style models are the ones I like the most since not a lot of other brands offer those kinds of ukes. The Martin replicas are nice as well but those are something that quite a few other brands are making as well. If I had a uke showroom (maybe someday I will) I would get one of the Vita replicas immediately.

Top Bottom