Postcard from New Zealand. (The first day of the rest of my life)

DPO

Reaction score
An off topic post I know but I though some of you might like to know that I ended up following my dream. The house sold in November and in December i purchased a Motorhome to live in permanently and boarded the ferry to cross the Cook strait.
The photo is Picton entrance to the South Island.

Best wishes
Dennis

Attachments

• Picton jpg.jpg
    Picton jpg.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for sharing Dennis. Considering how 2020 has been and as exemplary as NZ has been i was curious as to how your big plan had been affected. It's nice to know you are on the road.

Thanks everyone, I won't bore you with lot's of photos, just the odd postcard now and again.
Best Wishes.

Please, bore us, LOL. NZ is on my bucket list to visit. It's the airplane flight that seems daunting to me
Have a WONDERFUL rest of your life. My wife and I are doing what you are doing just about 1/4 speed tho

Please, bore us, LOL. NZ is on my bucket list to visit. It's the airplane flight that seems daunting to me
Have a WONDERFUL rest of your life. My wife and I are doing what you are doing just about 1/4 speed tho

Thanks Terry, I hope you make it over here one day, I'm pretty sure you would love it. Just for you this is where I had lunch today. A little bay on Queen Charlotte Sound.

Attachments

• Ngakutu Bay QCS.jpg
    Ngakutu Bay QCS.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 56
G’day Dennis,
I read an old post of yours a few months ago and wondered if you had hit the road yet.
I haven’t been to the South Isle for around forty-five years, but your picture of the ferry at Picton brings back memories.
I still get the heebie jeebies remembering an out-of-control moment in a rental car on the descent from the Haast Pass (very steep, no guard rails and loose, glassy-smooth gravel).
I had to pull over to have a spontaneous nervous breakdown while I reviewed the site…. there would have been no coming back had I had left the edge… hundreds of metres straight down.
A Kiwi relative tells me it has been sealed for quite a few years, and is now a comfortable drive.
I wish you many happy and safe adventures, mate.

G’day Dennis,
I read an old post of yours a few months ago and wondered if you had hit the road yet.
I haven’t been to the South Isle for around forty-five years, but your picture of the ferry at Picton brings back memories.
I still get the heebie jeebies remembering an out-of-control moment in a rental car on the descent from the Haast Pass (very steep, no guard rails and loose, glassy-smooth gravel).
I had to pull over to have a spontaneous nervous breakdown while I reviewed the site…. there would have been no coming back had I had left the edge… hundreds of metres straight down.
A Kiwi relative tells me it has been sealed for quite a few years, and is now a comfortable drive.
I wish you many happy and safe adventures, mate.

And G'day to you, the South is new to me so lots of surprises and a few adventures ahead no doubt. I took the scenic route out of Picton around the Queen Charlotte Sound, sealed road but steep and winding, that got pretty hairy in an 8 mtr motorhome. But the start of the journey has been wonderful, off to Nelson this morning. Best wishes.

Congrats Dennis. That reminds me I need to get a video together of the concert SC I recently acquired :shaka:

Kaikura . East coast South Island NZ

Attachments

• Kaikura2.jpg
    Kaikura2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 28
Kaikura . East coast South Island NZ

I spent a month on a self driving tour of New Zealand a couple of years ago, and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately I arrived soon after the earthquake of 2016 so I was never able to make it to Kaikura, as it was still totally cut off by road. But the South Island is indeed stunning.

I spent a month on a self driving tour of New Zealand a couple of years ago, and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately I arrived soon after the earthquake of 2016 so I was never able to make it to Kaikura, as it was still totally cut off by road. But the South Island is indeed stunning.

Yes, it is pretty unique, Kaikura was cut off for some considerable time due to the enormous amount of work needed to repair the main highway in. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.
Best wishes
Dennis

Top Bottom