Is "Uke Acquisition Syndrome" Worse At Night?

If i have played a lot after dinner, then I tend to sit around without playing, watching TV with wifey. Then I open my phone and daydream about the holy grail, maybe a 16" scale 5-string Gg with a 1.5" wide neck with a 1/2" thickness front to back, compound radius, and a cupholder. Then I see a used laminate baritone, and think about how much money I have in my paypal account. Then I slap myself and decide tomorrow is the day I will take good pictures of the one I need to get rid of.

Oh great, I thought I found the perfect ukulele, but it doesn’t have a cup holder. Here we go again ... :rolleyes:

I don't look at ukuleles that are for sale every evening. I don't look at them at all. Seriously, not being judgemental, but why? I mean, are you just sitting around all the time looking for something to buy?

Most often the "itch" comes on when I'm reading one or another thread here on the Forum, and I may come across a discussion (or even just a passing reference) to a certain type of uke (in this case, a tenor), and it gets me to wondering, "Hmmmm, I wonder if I'd enjoy a tenor, or perhaps a tenor scale matched to a soprano or concert body..." And then I'll start browsing around a little, and eventually see something with a fairly low price, and decent reviews, and decide that for a small investment I can maybe see what it's all about...

And yet you offer a link in your signature to something to buy ...............

So, did you just find a ukulele one day and think, yep, that'll do and have not looked at any more since?

No, that is not what happened. I thought it looked like something fun to learn to play, so I did a little research and bought one. Then a year later I knew a little more about it and bought a better one. And I have since looked at them a few times. I do not however routinely prowl the internet looking for more of them to buy and that was the question. I was really wondering if it is most common for people who play ukulele become addicted to buying more and more of them, or if those who are afflicted are a minority in the ukulele community. I mean, we see it every day here, but people aren't going to get on here and say that they didn't buy a ukulele today. So it becomes a rather one sided picture.

And yes, if someone wants a good detective crime novel to to read, I write them and one can follow my signature to get one.

Last edited:
In the interest of balance then, I did not buy a ukulele today. I am 90% certain I will not buy one tomorrow either.

In the interest of balance then, I did not buy a ukulele today. I am 90% certain I will not buy one tomorrow either.
Me neither, so there's two of us. And I'm not getting myself one for Christmas. I think this should be a whole new thread. I'll start it.

Top Bottom