Is "Uke Acquisition Syndrome" Worse At Night?

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
It seems to me that my tendency to want to "pull the trigger" on musical gear is noticeably stronger at nighttime, right before bed.

Last night, for instance, around 11:00, I ordered a Kmise brand slim-body tenor; it just seemed like the right thing to do at that moment, the instrument isn't expensive ($52.00), and the online reviews were good.

But when I woke up this morning, the first thought that hit me was, "Why the heck did I order that uke???" Fortunately, I was able to get the order cancelled before it was ready for shipment.

Typically, I'll go through the day appreciating what I have and realizing that what I really need is more PRACTICE rather than more instruments, but once the evening comes... UAS strikes!

Am I alone in this?

I think you are right. I will always wait until the morning and see if I feel the same and most of the time I don't.

It seems to me that my tendency to want to "pull the trigger" on musical gear is noticeably stronger at nighttime, right before bed.

Last night, for instance, around 11:00, I ordered a Kmise brand slim-body tenor; it just seemed like the right thing to do at that moment, the instrument isn't expensive ($52.00), and the online reviews were good.

Typically, I'll go through the day appreciating what I have and realizing that what I really need is more PRACTICE rather than more instruments, but once the evening comes... UAS strikes!

Am I alone in this?

Without question... me too! The only difference is that the consternation will go on for a day or two... sometimes three; then on evening #3 I'll have convinced myself enough "I've thought it through/rationalized" sufficiently to make the purchase! Sweet dreams, then the guilt comes while the waiting game commences.

Your defences are weakened late at night...... :p

Plus, you have more time to browse in the evenings....... :drool:

Only sensible option is to never buy at night. :music:

Nah.. I bought my first UAS acquisition early in the morning after sleeping over it and waking up worrying it might be already sold..

Lots of research says that after a full day one's impulse controls are diminished. I agree that it may make sense to sleep on it and see what you think in a day or two.

"Is 'Uke Acquisition Syndrome' Worse At Night?"

It is if you have imbibed any alcoholic beverage(s).

John Colter

Here's how to solve your nighttime UAS:
Tell yourself that the store can't ship out until the next morning so you lose nothing buying tomorrow.

And here's how to solve your morning UAS:
Tell yourself that HMS is still closed so you don't lose anything ordering in the evening.

Then, there's a chance you'll miss that evening window and end up at nighttime...
And we all know how to solve a nighttime UAS.

Seriously, the way I solved my UAS was finding the one ukulele that I really enjoy playing. It's not my most expensive uke, it's not even my second or third most expensive uke. So price has not much to do with it. It is the uke that I don't find anything lacking and has kept my interest for a while. Maybe eventually I'll grow tired of it and want another, but, as they say, so far so good.

I don't know what time of the day is most condusive, but it seems to me that owning ten cheap ukuleles is most attractive to the impulse buyer.

Unless it is a listing for a used ukulele that you have lusted for. Then, they who hesitate—lose out.

So anytime is bad for those.

Though I confess, I have stopped myself from buying for a day or so and if the item is still available, I'll go for it.

But usually they are gone by then... :(

Hahahahahaha! Thank you for all the great replies! And by the way, has anyone tried that Kmise slim-body travel tenor (zebrawood)?

Usually if I'm moving towards an impulse buy any time of day and most likely at night....maybe after a beverage.......I let go until the next morning.....many times if it's on some kind of classifieds it's gone by the time I look at it again and if it's from a retailer ....I've come to my senses by then.....not that I've haven't fought through the logic and firm mindfulness to buy something on a whim but waiting usually works for me.....

But when I woke up this morning, the first thought that hit me was, "Why the heck did I order that uke???" Fortunately, I was able to get the order cancelled before it was ready for shipment.

Am I alone in this?

I solve the "second-thoughts-in-the-morning" problem by sleeping until noon. :)

If i have played a lot after dinner, then I tend to sit around without playing, watching TV with wifey. Then I open my phone and daydream about the holy grail, maybe a 16" scale 5-string Gg with a 1.5" wide neck with a 1/2" thickness front to back, compound radius, and a cupholder. Then I see a used laminate baritone, and think about how much money I have in my paypal account. Then I slap myself and decide tomorrow is the day I will take good pictures of the one I need to get rid of.

Hahahahahaha! Thank you for all the great replies! And by the way, has anyone tried that Kmise slim-body travel tenor (zebrawood)?
I think it’s the same as the Hricane one. I succumbed too, and I don’t have the nighttime excuse. I got the spalted maple, it seems to go back and forth which is cheaper. You got a better deal. I paid $60. It’s amazingly well made for the price—or even for a lot more—and that it came with a nice gig bag and strap is mind boggling. I set it up low G. It’s quite nice sounding, and didn’t need to be set up. It’s just that I don’t need it.

I think it’s the same as the Hricane one. I succumbed too, and I don’t have the nighttime excuse. I got the spalted maple, it seems to go back and forth which is cheaper. You got a better deal. I paid $60. It’s amazingly well made for the price—or even for a lot more—and that it came with a nice gig bag and strap is mind boggling. I set it up low G. It’s quite nice sounding, and didn’t need to be set up. It’s just that I don’t need it.

Thanks, Ziret! I know what you mean about buying an instrument that you don't need. That would certainly apply to most of what's in my "inventory"! But I guess we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves for those purely discretionary purchases! I appreciate your thoughts on the Hricane tenor!

And once again, thanks to all for your very interesting thoughts!

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's worse, but I've hit the nighttime UAS from both ends: I've both insomnia-bought and ambian-bought! I didn't realize the latter until I saw the shipping notice.... turned out to be a winner though!

I don't look at ukuleles that are for sale every evening. I don't look at them at all. Seriously, not being judgemental, but why? I mean, are you just sitting around all the time looking for something to buy?

I don't look at ukuleles that are for sale every evening. I don't look at them at all. Seriously, not being judgemental, but why? I mean, are you just sitting around all the time looking for something to buy?

And yet you offer a link in your signature to something to buy ...............

So, did you just find a ukulele one day and think, yep, that'll do and have not looked at any more since?

Top Bottom