NUD: Kanile'a K-1 C

Cluze

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
(This is the first of two kind-of unplanned purchases. I'll talk about the other one when it arrives.)

Like many of you here, I am a bit of a ukulele collector. I have far too many and I swear I am trying to downsize. But sometimes UAS gets the better of me.

I have Kamaka and KoAloha concert instruments, but not a Kanile'a. I really like many things about Kanile'a as a company. I like their build quality, the woods they use, and the work they do trying to bring native trees back in Hawai'i. I really like the different groups, festivals, and artists that they support. But I never really liked the Kanile'a instruments I had an opportunity to play. The sound just wasn't quite to my liking. But I really liked the company, and so many other folks loved their Kanile'a's. Was I just missing something? I really wanted to give them a fair shake, and spend some real time with one of their instruments, and I intended to do so eventually, maybe sometime late next year or so.

Then two things conspired to make it happen much sooner than expected. With the current COVID situation, we weren't able to travel as we had planned for the holidays, so we had a little extra money and I noticed that Uke Like the Pros was having a Black Friday sale that discounted everything, even the expensive stuff. One thing lead to another and...

My Kanile'a arrived last Friday. (After all, if I didn't end up liking it, I could probably sell it for a decent price, right?) I was busy with a project so I didn't get a chance to type this up until now.

It is, as expected, a beautiful instrument. The fit and finish is flawless. The build quality is impeccable. The sound still wasn't quite right to my ears, and I think I know why. Kanile'a ships with nylgut strings, and I strongly prefer fluorocarbon strings. I really tried to like them, but the nyguts only stayed on for about a day and half, and it is now strung up with Worth brown mediums. This gives it a much sweeter voice, in my opinion (but I would love to know what other Kanile'a owners like!)

One of Kanile'a's defining features is their wide fretboards. It is *very* comfortable to play, but my fingers are still getting used to it. Some chord shapes just don't "feel" quite right yet, as my fingers are used to being closer together. It isn't a huge deal, but it is taking a bit of getting used to.

I thought I would be disappointed that the K-1 C comes with a padded gigbag instead of a hard case. In my mind an instrument of this quality really deserves a hard case (and I may still get it one eventually) but this is great bag! It is the nicest "gig bag" I have ever had. I kind of feel like the term "gig bag" is doing it a disservice and maybe "padded soft case" is a better way to describe it?

This was my first time ordering from Uke Like the Pros, and it went great. Pretty quick turn around, packed well, shipping was great. They do have a small charge for setup, and I did pay for that as well as a tail strap-button. I am about to say something that will sound like a complaint, but please let me explain: the setup is good but not amazing. I know that this sound bad, but understand that most of my higher-end instruments have come from 1) Mim, 2) The Ukulele Site, or 3) Elderly Instruments. If these are the places I am comparing to, calling a setup "good" is actually quite good! I'd like the action a just a hair lower, but not by much.

All in all, I am pretty happy. I see why people love their Kanile'a's. That said, I still do prefer the sound of my KoAloha silver, but that is really just a personal preference. There is a reason that Kanile'a is part of the "Hawaiian K's", and it clearly belongs there.

I will try to post some pics soon, but for now, back to playing!

Thanks for the NUD with your insightful comments. I hope you will follow up after you have a chance to become more familiar with it. It would be especially cool if you could give comparisons between your KoAloha, Kamaka, and Kanilea ukes.

About two years ago as a relative newbie, I had a chance to compare these three at one shop. The KoAloha sound won (by a lot) followed by Kamaka and then Kanilea. Well, a bright and loud sound with fluorocarbons should win to a newbie (recalls first liking stereo speakers with a lot of treble). A little later I found that the Kamaka strings were often switched out and that my impressions were shared by many because of the strings. Seems like the Nylgut on Kanilea has a similar effect. I also found that as one progressed, the Kamaka strings sounded better due to the balance. The Kanileas were always tremendous eye candy, but I still have not grown fonder of their characteristic sound (mostly over cheap PC speakers). I hope to get to Hawaii when sanity returns to the world and be able to compare and tour all their factories again.

Again, I hope you will follow up on your impressions.

Congrats. So cool to have 3 K-brand concerts! I love to hear a video or sound comparing all 3.

Thanks for the NUD with your insightful comments. I hope you will follow up after you have a chance to become more familiar with it. It would be especially cool if you could give comparisons between your KoAloha, Kamaka, and Kanilea ukes.

About two years ago as a relative newbie, I had a chance to compare these three at one shop. The KoAloha sound won (by a lot) followed by Kamaka and then Kanilea. Well, a bright and loud sound with fluorocarbons should win to a newbie (recalls first liking stereo speakers with a lot of treble). A little later I found that the Kamaka strings were often switched out and that my impressions were shared by many because of the strings. Seems like the Nylgut on Kanilea has a similar effect. I also found that as one progressed, the Kamaka strings sounded better due to the balance. The Kanileas were always tremendous eye candy, but I still have not grown fonder of their characteristic sound (mostly over cheap PC speakers). I hope to get to Hawaii when sanity returns to the world and be able to compare and tour all their factories again.

Again, I hope you will follow up on your impressions.

I am definitely planning to do some sort of comparison soon! I need to figure out the best way to do it. Probably sound samples rather than video, as the Youtube compressions kind of flattens out a lot of audio.

I'll figure something out at some point. I consider myself very lucky to have three Ks under one roof, so I certainly will spend some time with they all over the holidays!

Congrats on the new uke, Cluze! Can't wait to see some pictures...

I was also tempted by the Uke Like The Pros big sale, but decided to hold off.

Congratulations! I had a very similar experience with Kanile'a as well so I definitely understand your hesitance. I had watched and listened to several videos of different Kanile'a ukes but I never understood why they were so revered. They didn't sound special at all in the videos, but I decided to give them a chance anyway like you did. I bought a beautiful looking K1-C as well, and I'm so glad that I did because it's now one of my favourite ukes and uke brands. I think the sound of a Kanile'a is so warm and deep that it's really hard to capture even with a quality microphone. One aspect of it is definitely also the strings. I think nylguts sound ok on them but a string change will definitely benefit their ukes.

I think there's a whole separate thread for my string testing on my K1. I recently settled on clear fluorocarbon (Worth CMs or Martin M600s). I initially thought that they made the sound of the uke a bit too bell-like and chimey but I realised that it's basically a very similar sound to clear nylon, which I liked very much, but just louder. If the nylons were louder I would probably prefer them but they're just a bit too muffled. I've tested Worth Browns on it and they sound really good as well but I experienced some intonation issues with them.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the gigbag the uke came with. I was really surprised Kanile'a don't offer a hard case even for their most expensive ukes, but after seeing the gigbag in the flesh I actually really like it. It's like a very well padded light case since the outer layer is really hard and stiff. No issues with it at all.

I also have all the three K brand ukes but Kanile'a is the only one whose ukes I have more than one of. I recently got the Southern Ukulele Store Concert (SUS-C) made by Kanile'a and it's just as nice as the K1-C, just with different woods. So I think it's safe to say that Kanile'a is quite easily my favourite Hawaiian uke brand. Not that I don't like the others, and actually that ranking might change once I'm able to do a proper setup for my Kamaka and KoAloha sopranos, but the innovation and build quality of Kanile'a is just impeccable.

I'd love to see some photos of your K1-C. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations! I had a very similar experience with Kanile'a as well so I definitely understand your hesitance. I had watched and listened to several videos of different Kanile'a ukes but I never understood why they were so revered. They didn't sound special at all in the videos, but I decided to give them a chance anyway like you did. I bought a beautiful looking K1-C as well, and I'm so glad that I did because it's now one of my favourite ukes and uke brands. I think the sound of a Kanile'a is so warm and deep that it's really hard to capture even with a quality microphone. One aspect of it is definitely also the strings. I think nylguts sound ok on them but a string change will definitely benefit their ukes.

I think there's a whole separate thread for my string testing on my K1. I recently settled on clear fluorocarbon (Worth CMs or Martin M600s). I initially thought that they made the sound of the uke a bit too bell-like and chimey but I realised that it's basically a very similar sound to clear nylon, which I liked very much, but just louder. If the nylons were louder I would probably prefer them but they're just a bit too muffled. I've tested Worth Browns on it and they sound really good as well but I experienced some intonation issues with them.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the gigbag the uke came with. I was really surprised Kanile'a don't offer a hard case even for their most expensive ukes, but after seeing the gigbag in the flesh I actually really like it. It's like a very well padded light case since the outer layer is really hard and stiff. No issues with it at all.

I also have all the three K brand ukes but Kanile'a is the only one whose ukes I have more than one of. I recently got the Southern Ukulele Store Concert (SUS-C) made by Kanile'a and it's just as nice as the K1-C, just with different woods. So I think it's safe to say that Kanile'a is quite easily my favourite Hawaiian uke brand. Not that I don't like the others, and actually that ranking might change once I'm able to do a proper setup for my Kamaka and KoAloha sopranos, but the innovation and build quality of Kanile'a is just impeccable.

I'd love to see some photos of your K1-C. :)

Thank you for your comments and thoughts. I agree, the sound difference between them are going to be tough to capture, but I am going to try anyway! :) I think if I really want to do it right, I should put the same strings on all of them. Not sure if I am that ambitious, but we'll see...

I am charging my camera battery right now, so hopefully some pics later today!

Thank you for your comments and thoughts. I agree, the sound difference between them are going to be tough to capture, but I am going to try anyway! :) I think if I really want to do it right, I should put the same strings on all of them. Not sure if I am that ambitious, but we'll see...

I am charging my camera battery right now, so hopefully some pics later today!

Better to do it with the "best" strings that you feel work with the ukulele. That would give us a better impression as you are comparing the ukes at their best.

Looking forward to this!

Congrats! I don't think one could buy a bad K brand ukulele!

Ok, I finally had a chance to take some pics:

i-mj9gFB7-L.jpg

And here it is with the case, which is an awesome soft case:

i-gBpNk5m-L.jpg

Congratulations on a sweet addition to your collection. I only had opportunity to compare the K brands to each other in uke store, and always felt that Kanile'a sounded better than the others just because they had the best strings. So obviously I am not a big fan of fluorocarbon. Only one store in Hilo had all ukes strung with Romero strings to allow more objective comparison and that made the K brands sound more similar to me, but I think the Kanile'a still came up ahead just a bit from KoAloha in my very subjective opinion.

Congratulations on a sweet addition to your collection. I only had opportunity to compare the K brands to each other in uke store, and always felt that Kanile'a sounded better than the others just because they had the best strings. So obviously I am not a big fan of fluorocarbon. Only one store in Hilo had all ukes strung with Romero strings to allow more objective comparison and that made the K brands sound more similar to me, but I think the Kanile'a still came up ahead just a bit from KoAloha in my very subjective opinion.

This is a really good demonstration of how personal preferences can be. Whenever I was able to compare them in person, I always felt the Kanile'a came in third because I *am* a really big fan of fluorocarbon strings! :)

As I said in my thread comparing the 3 K's, they are all very close, to be honest. The differences, when they have similar strings, are pretty subtle. They all make great instruments.

That's some very nice looking stripy and even a bit curly koa. I wonder if that's deluxe grade or if you just got lucky. :)

I love Living Water on my Kanile'a concert...
K2front.jpg

Top Bottom