Ukulele has a slanted nut - should I avoid it?

It has been ordered - just a -25$ but there's a note in the account to cover re-seating the nut as part of the set-up that I get in the first year, if I don't return it within 30 days that is. Fingers crossed, hope it works out! At this point the only risk was that I can't spend the money on another ukulele until it's tried and returned. But seeing as the other ones are sold out everywhere for now anyway...
Will post pictures when I get it!

Just a suggestion... when it arrives, photo everything, the box, the unpacking and the uke from every angle possible. Since there is one issue already, having a photo record should you return it for other issues may prove helpful. Some shops are easy to deal with and some not so obliging. Based on the prior story from the salesman, the store's credibility has already been stretched a bit.

Just look at the way that building is leaning. That doesn't look right, does it?

John Colter2017.05.4 Media City, Salford.jpg

Just look at the way that building is leaning. That doesn't look right, does it?

That's sort of what I was thinking. Perspective of the photo is off, maybe some lens distortion... and greatly amplified by the horizontal lines in the background.

Will be interesting to see if we're right!

Well I have received the ukulele already. It turns out the nut is fine. In fact the intonation is perfect save for a bit flat past the 10th fret on A string.
The issue appears to be that the headstock is slightly misshapen/twisted - past the nut. However there's no other flaw (or warping) I can find. Granted it's a sizeable flaw. But given the circumstances I want to keep it. I just don't want to make a stupid mistake!
It feels, plays and looks incredible to be honest. Pix incoming

Well I have received the ukulele already. It turns out the nut is fine. In fact the intonation is perfect save for a bit flat past the 10th fret on A string.
The issue appears to be that the headstock is slightly misshapen/twisted - past the nut. However there's no other flaw (or warping) I can find. Granted it's a sizeable flaw. But given the circumstances I want to keep it. I just don't want to make a stupid mistake!
It feels, plays and looks incredible to be honest. Pix incoming

That sounds like "Good news/Bad news." Just keep in mind what will happen if you want to sell it.

Glad to hear the issue wasn't the nut after all. A slightly twisted headstock shouldn't be a major issue provided it doesn't affect playability or intonation or anything else that's important. I've seen Ken Timms sell one of his hand-made ukes that had a twisted headstock as a second so I trust his judgement that the issue is only a cosmetic one.

That sounds like "Good news/Bad news." Just keep in mind what will happen if you want to sell it.

Agree. I've gone through countless instruments over the years - sales, trades, giveaways and just trashed. The "forever" uke hasn't shown up yet. As long as one doesn't see an instrument as an investment or expecting to break-even moneywise on a trade of sale, then any flaw is immaterial.

Took some photos in daylight!! As you can see the twist in the headstock is more visible from some angles, especially when looking straight at it, but isn't always noticeable. I am soooo in love. The Aquila Red Low-G sounds great with the Super Nylguts.
Witness the distilled water for my new humidifier :)

Photo album Eastman EU3T: https://imgur.com/a/yGqp6Qg

Edit: I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the lock on the case... It's flimsy, which is fine because I just want to make sure the case stays shut, but I can't even make it work :p like it's the wrong key

Last edited:
Took some photos in daylight!!

Edit: I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the lock on the case... It's flimsy, which is fine because I just want to make sure the case stays shut, but I can't even make it work :p like it's the wrong key

That's beautiful, and don't worry about that twist that I can't see.

As for the locking case, we all have lots of case keys that we never use. I keep mine in the case - just in case. I think it's funny that cases have locks. A screwdriver could bypass them with no trouble. And if someone wants to steal the uke, why not take the case, too? ;)

Top Bottom