Song Help Request White Christmas chord

merlin666

Reaction score
So I am figuring out Dreaming of a White Christmas and I reviewed several versions and have picked most chords I like. What gets me stumped is the two chord sequence for the two syllables of Christ-mas. I want the mas to end on a G7 but for Christ the choices I have seen include F#7, G#7, and Cdim7. They all work in some way but I'm not sure which is closest to Irving Berlin original, or whatever that may be. Please help.

I would go with F#7

I agree with EDW. Here are the chords I use:

[ C | Dm7 C B C | Dm7 | F#7 G7 / / |

| Dm7 | Dm7 G7 | C | Dm7 G7 |

| C | C7 | F | Fm |

| C | F C D7 / | Dm7 | G7 |

|| C | Dm7 C B C | Dm7 | F#7 G7 / / |

| Dm7 | Dm7 G7 | C | Dm7 G7 |

| C | C7 | F | Fm |

| C C#dim | Dm7 G7 | C | C |

I enjoyed that, cheers!

White rooftops here, but I suspect the snow will be gone tomorrow.

Merry Christmas!

Here's how I do it:
WCTU.jpg
Oops - that last C7 can be a 13th as well (fingering 3 - 0 - 0 - 0; there's no 5th in the voicing, but you don't need it to define the harmony and, hey - we've only got 4 strings to work with!)

Last edited:
I love that KoAloha sound.

All the suggestions will work as long as you have the melody notes which are in a very tight range with blue notes to give it that sense of longing. I myself am a lazy player so I usually default to simpler, easy to play. The ukulele lends itself so easily to use chord substitutions where you change just one note and it makes it sound cool.

BTW, Irving Berlin would probably be unhappy with any way you do it so you might as well please yourself. He was known to be very picky about people interpreting his songs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom