The Rebel: what kind of strings?

mikelz777

Reaction score
I have a new Rebel, Double Creme, all mango, matte finish 2020 model. Does anyone know what kind of strings come on it? I'm pretty sure they are fluorocarbons but what brand? I've tried to contact the makers through their web site a couple of times but they have yet to respond.

I suspect that they are the same fluorocarbon strings that come on the Opios (same factory) which would mean the same fluorocarbons that come on KoAlohas, which are their own thing. They are very close to Worth clears (or so I am told) but the are *not* Worth (or so KoAloha has said on mulitple occasions.)

Pops was selling KoAloha strings on his UkeSA site, but recently said he is going to stop carrying them. He is selling through what he has but doesn't plan to restock.

That's about all I know.

I contacted them, and they say that they are their own strings, that they do market them in Asia, but not elsewhere. That's what a Rebel rep stated. They are obviously a fluorocarbon, and I like them very much. I think I would go to Uke Logic or Living Water when I go to change mine, unless I could find the KoAlohas that Cluze mentioned. How are you liking your uke?

I really like the strings as well, and would love to know this answer— and/or, how the Living Water or Uke Logic strings compare, because those are gettable.

I asked Rebel about their strings through one of their accounts, but cannot locate the answer right now (will keep looking). The general gist being, call a small shop (no website) and ask...

The strings: to me, they’re the right level of “soft” (the tactile feel) and I enjoy the sound.

~ S.

How are you liking your uke?

My initial opinion was that I was unimpressed and disappointed with the sound. It was so uneven and inconsistent. Then I noticed that my shirt sleeve was muting the strings at the bridge. I rolled up my sleeve and that made all the difference in the world! :D I'm still trying to get a bead on the mango sound. I'll have to do a NUD post when I've had more playing time with it.

I contacted them, and they say that they are their own strings, that they do market them in Asia, but not elsewhere. That's what a Rebel rep stated. They are obviously a fluorocarbon, and I like them very much. I think I would go to Uke Logic or Living Water when I go to change mine, unless I could find the KoAlohas that Cluze mentioned. How are you liking your uke?

Just to let you know that CLUZE is correct. We have limited supply of Low-G and High-G string sets available for sale at www.ukesahawaii.com. These are the same strings used on KoAloha. We have been selling these since March however, once this supply is gone, we will no longer distribute the strings. Grab them while you can.

Before I bought my Opio I was in touch with them in Bangkok, who also makes the Rebel brand. According to them they are worth’s strings.

Just to let you know that CLUZE is correct. We have limited supply of Low-G and High-G string sets available for sale at www.ukesahawaii.com. These are the same strings used on KoAloha. We have been selling these since March however, once this supply is gone, we will no longer distribute the strings. Grab them while you can.

I just bought two sets, I'll give them a try. :shaka:

I went on the Koaloha factory tour once and saw them using spools of fluorocarbon that were labeled Seaguar Blue. I don't know if this was custom ordered from the factory or the same thing you find at the fishing supply store.

My initial opinion was that I was unimpressed and disappointed with the sound. It was so uneven and inconsistent. Then I noticed that my shirt sleeve was muting the strings at the bridge. I rolled up my sleeve and that made all the difference in the world! :D I'm still trying to get a bead on the mango sound. I'll have to do a NUD post when I've had more playing time with it.

I’ve had one in my radar for some time. I can’t wait for your NUD!

Do you mind if I ask why they would no longer be sold?

Do you mind if I ask why they would no longer be sold?

It was decided to retain the strings that they have for their builds and no longer make them available to the public. One of the things that I find amazing with the sale of these strings from Ukesa was that Pops would go to each string spool and cut each length and hand-wind, himself. Then he would put them into the packets and shrink wrap the package. He did all of this himself.

Curiouser and curiouser! My rudimentary understanding is that fluorocarbon spools are produced in the same place(s), and ukulele strings are some variation* of mass-produced fishing line.

Are we learning that some of the specifications are/were unique to specific brands, and no longer being available under any other name?
Because if the strings on my Rebels are available, under whatever branding, I'd like some more.

~ S.

*if only in length.. ;)

Curiouser and curiouser! My rudimentary understanding is that fluorocarbon spools are produced in the same place(s), and ukulele strings are some variation* of mass-produced fishing line.

Are we learning that some of the specifications are/were unique to specific brands, and no longer being available under any other name?
Because if the strings on my Rebels are available, under whatever branding, I'd like some more.

~ S.

*if only in length.. ;)

Yes, that'd be kind of funny. After you've developed a liking for your Rebel uke and factory strings, then you can't buy those strings anymore. Even if somebody tells you this-and-this brand is the same string, not coming from factory or other official source, even if it sounds similar, you'd be having this nagging question on your mind forever.

Yes, that'd be kind of funny. After you've developed a liking for your Rebel uke and factory strings, then you can't buy those strings anymore. Even if somebody tells you this-and-this brand is the same string, not coming from factory or other official source, even if it sounds similar, you'd be having this nagging question on your mind forever.

#forever :D

I'm no string connoisseur by any means; if anything, I'm trying to limit the Paradox of Choice (dissatisfaction arising from the availability of so many different choices, left wondering about That Other Set).

What I know so far: I didn't care for the Aquilas that came on my Ohana ukuleles, or the Water Whatevers that came on my Anuenue.

Martin M600s held no appeal (albeit on a cheap ukulele that a string change couldn't improve; I may try the Martins again, though I found them thin and flappy).

I like Fremont Black Lines-- admitted the look is part of the appeal, but I do like the sound just fine, if wishing even the mediums were a little softer.

The Rebel strings are the only ones I've played so far that I actually really *like.* They're almost gummy at first (purists shudder), yet not as 'soft' as they first present; a very subjective tactile experience, that for now is my preference.

If Living Waters or UkeLogics or Worth Clears get me close, that'd be great. I really didn't think it would be this hard....

~ S.

#forever :D

I'm no string connoisseur by any means; if anything, I'm trying to limit the Paradox of Choice (dissatisfaction arising from the availability of so many different choices, left wondering about That Other Set).

What I know so far: I didn't care for the Aquilas that came on my Ohana ukuleles, or the Water Whatevers that came on my Anuenue.

Martin M600s held no appeal (albeit on a cheap ukulele that a string change couldn't improve; I may try the Martins again, though I found them thin and flappy).

I like Fremont Black Lines-- admitted the look is part of the appeal, but I do like the sound just fine, if wishing even the mediums were a little softer.

The Rebel strings are the only ones I've played so far that I actually really *like.* They're almost gummy at first (purists shudder), yet not as 'soft' as they first present; a very subjective tactile experience, that for now is my preference.

If Living Waters or UkeLogics or Worth Clears get me close, that'd be great. I really didn't think it would be this hard....

~ S.

I really like the Rebel strings a lot too. I also like the Uke Logic soft tension I put on a couple of ukes. They have a similar feel and sound to me. My favorites.

I really like the Rebel strings a lot too. I also like the Uke Logic soft tension I put on a couple of ukes. They have a similar feel and sound to me. My favorites.

Belated thanks for pointing me in this direction. The Rebel strings still feel 'softer' to me (not in terms of tension, but in tactile feel. Okay, maybe tension, too?), but the Uke Logic strings are very nice. I could see them becoming a go-to.

Thank you!
~ S.

Top Bottom