More Annoying Uke : (

If you get a banjo your spouse will be greatful when you play ukulele instead. Trust me on this one.

I find these comics to be uplifting and charming and I think that it has made it into mainstream comics a sign that the uke community is growing. You could substitute the instrument in the strip for a tuba, electric guitar, or drums and it would still be funny, but I think it shows a broader societal acceptance of the uke as a real instrument.

We've made it into mainstream game shows now...... a puzzle answer on Wheel of Fortune last night. The puzzle category was "What are you doing?" The answer....."Tuning My Ukulele." It was a prize puzzle and I bet you can't guess where the contestant won a trip to????

I am not sure whether the joke is about the sound of the ukulele as much as it is the idea of a kid who is unprepared. Either way, we can pity those who are not educated or enlightened. :D

Couldn't care less about what other people think, I love the sound of a ukulele and surround myself with like minded. I completely gave up guitar after playing for 50 almost years when I started playing the uke over 7 years ago.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

We've made it into mainstream game shows now...... a puzzle answer on Wheel of Fortune last night. The puzzle category was "What are you doing?" The answer....."Tuning My Ukulele." It was a prize puzzle and I bet you can't guess where the contestant won a trip to????

Good lord. Giving away trips to Hawai'i in a pandemic? That's pretty tasteless. Just STAY HOME, people!

Ukes are starting to show up lots more places though. I'm starting to see them on Youtube sets and commercials. It's becoming an accepted hobby.

Good lord. Giving away trips to Hawai'i in a pandemic? That's pretty tasteless. Just STAY HOME, people!

Ukes are starting to show up lots more places though. I'm starting to see them on Youtube sets and commercials. It's becoming an accepted hobby.
Yeah, I’m hoping the contestants have a very large window of time to use their travel prizes.

Yeah, I’m hoping the contestants have a very large window of time to use their travel prizes.

Locations that rely on tourism must really be hurting. We were in HI in September or October, and a couple of tours I booked were canceled because of low attendance. They let me sign up, but they said they would have to see how many others signed up.

Not that I would encourage anyone to travel anywhere right now, but I read an article the other day about how well Hawaii is dealing with the pandemic, especially as compared to other areas, so kudos to them!

Not that I would encourage anyone to travel anywhere right now, but I read an article the other day about how well Hawaii is dealing with the pandemic, especially as compared to other areas, so kudos to them!

It helps that it's an island(s). It would be interesting to see how the islands compare with each other in terms of infections.

EDIT: Oahu is going up, while the others are going down.

https://health.hawaii.gov/coronavirusdisease2019/

Last edited:
Dr Fauci just asked us to stay home. I will. Meals on Wheels is it for me. That's enough human contact, except for rehearsals.

Hawai'i tourism boards are all out on advertising right now. It's one of the most common adverts we're seeing here. Personally, I can't imagine it'd be a relaxing vacation. I'm holing up at least until vaccines are widespread.

The entire "State of Hawaiʻi" is despicable (the government, not the place or people), but the Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority and what it stands for is probably the most offensive of all. They've normalized colonialism to an astounding level.

It's no surprise at all that our own state is pimping us out during a global pandemic. But many, many residents resent it. Because of that, I imagine the Aloha most people expect to experience on their trip will be absent or wanting.

Fight the power. Stay home. Keep your loved ones close. Make smart choices. Happy holidays everyone!

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking your thread, Jerry! My brother used to like Baby Blues. I'm more of a Foxtrot, Zits, Far Side guy.

If you get a banjo your spouse will be greatful when you play ukulele instead. Trust me on this one.

Totally agree with that concept. A brief time with an amplified cigar box slide guitar made my ukulele endeavors seem so much better to my better half.

Totally agree with that concept. A brief time with an amplified cigar box slide guitar made my ukulele endeavors seem so much better to my better half.

Add a fuzz pedal which even makes its own music if you walk away and an amp with so many watts that the volume has never been above "2"--then you have some fodder for the marriage counselor.

And I am amused that no one has mentioned the obvious: the ukulele is extremely annoying. Not because of what it is, but because of who we are. We aren't Brittni Paiva; we aren't the most dedicated of musicians. Everything we touch becomes elevator music with a Reggae beat.

Dr Fauci just asked us to stay home. I will. Meals on Wheels is it for me. That's enough human contact, except for rehearsals.

Sorry for the further hijack Jerry....... Nickie. How was virtual TBUG? Hard to believe that just a little over year ago, I was there. Jamming with everyone & visiting my family. Maybe next year?????
I just started volunteering for Meal On Wheels. A minimal contact way to stay engaged & help out my community. I can't wait for the day that I can visit longer with my clients, and maybe even play some uke music for them.....maybe, if they'd tolerate it. Now it's just dropping off their meals & saying hello from a distance in a mask.

Top Bottom