Season 462 - Dare To Be Different - like Charley B

DelGriff

A very boring man!
Reaction score
Season 462 - Dare To Be Different - like Charley B

So, I’m a bit boring. I’ve always been a bit boring. I follow the rules. I conform. I never had a detention at school. I’ve always had a sensible haircut, never had any piercings or tattoos and I’ve always worn sensible shoes. I’ve never had a parking fine or a speeding ticket. I’ve never taken an illegal substance. Dull, dull, dull! But... I sometimes just wish I could be a little more rebellious, step outside the box, swim against the tide of conformity.

So this week is a celebration of those people who do just that - they dare to be different. There are a few such individuals on the Seasons, and none more so than Charley B. He wears a tin foil hat in all his videos. He has a life size dalek in his home. And in one of his videos he was wearing only a sock and a bow tie! He’s hugely entertaining and the Seasons is a richer place for his presence as well as his music.

So, this is what I’d like from you all this week:

1. Absolutely any song of your choice but it has to be performed in a tin foil hat like Charley’s (how to make a tin foil hat);
or:
2. A cover of any of the songs that Charley has performed - here’s a link to his YT channel: https://youtube.com/user/TheSeventhFirst
or:
3. A song about a rebel, or an eccentric, or somebody who has done something out of character, good or bad;
or:
4. A song by an artist who has dared to be different or broken the mould - eg Bowie, Boy George, even Elvis in his early career. Should be plenty to choose from in this category.
or:
5. For the songwriters, anything that fits the ‘Dare To Be Different’ idea - again songs about people acting in a rebellious way or out of character would be good examples, but there’s plenty of scope here too.

It may be possible to find songs that fulfil several of these options at once, which will earn extra bonus points, especially if also performed in a tin foil hat!

If you can, please write a sentence or two (or more) about why you’ve chosen or written the songs you bring - I love to know exactly what’s behind your choices.

Usual rules apply - collaborations and multitracking are very welcome. The song limit is 2 each per day, but no limit at all on Christmas Day only - my gift to you all! As some of you will know, I’m not a big fan of the second Sunday but I’m happy to go with it this time as I’m not back to work until January 2nd so I’ll have plenty of time to judge the entries (yes there will be a prize - details to follow) and produce the wrap early in the week after finishing. So the Season will run from the start of Sunday 20th December to the end of Sunday 27th December (Hawaiian time).

Above all - enjoy yourselves! :)

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
great theme! charley b rocks! sometimes even with all his clothes on! :rock:

Last edited:
A fertile topic to be sure. My mind is already spinning with ideas. Thanks Del!

Ooh, you've started early, Del! And I have had a parking fine AND a detention ... my guilty past has caught up with me! This is a great idea and, fortunately, I recently invested in a roll of heavy duty foil (just so long as there is enough left over for the turkey.) P.S. You are really BORING!!!

Last edited:
Del, I like boring❤️ As unromantic as it may sound, one of the top five reasons I married my husband was because he is and was punctual��

after 2020, you must all realise that wearing a tinfoil hat is the only way forward ...

Del I have always thought of you as the Eric Olthwaite of the forum. Our conversations on shovels, black puddings and rainfall are most enjoyable.

Del I have always thought of you as the Eric Olthwaite of the forum. Our conversations on shovels, black puddings and rainfall are most enjoyable.
Eric Olthwaite has been a lifelong role model for me, John - cannot tell you how flattered I am by this comment!

For those who don’t know of Eric:

Last edited:
If you ask me What’s new?, I have nothing to say
Except that the garden is growing.
I had a slight cold but it’s better today.
I’m content with the way things are going.
Yes, he is the same as he usually is,
Still eating and sleeping and snoring.
I get on with my work. He gets on with his.
I know this is all very boring.

There was drama enough in my turbulent past:
Tears and passion - I’ve used up a tankful.
No news is good news, and long may it last.
If nothing much happens, I’m thankful.
A happier cabbage you never did see,
My vegetable spirits are soaring.
If you’re after excitement, steer well clear of me.
I want to go on being boring.

I don’t go to parties. Well, what are they for,
If you don’t need to find a new lover?
You drink and you listen and drink a bit more
And you take the next day to recover.
Someone to stay home with was all my desire
And, now that I’ve found a safe mooring,
I’ve just one ambition in life: I aspire
To go on and on being boring.

Last edited:
You mentioned David Bowie. Here's his song about another "dare to be different" fellow. Andy Warhol.

If you ask me What’s new?, I have nothing to say
Except that the garden is growing.
I had a slight cold but it’s better today.
I’m content with the way things are going.
Yes, he is the same as he usually is,
Still eating and sleeping and snoring.
I get on with my work. He gets on with his.
I know this is all very boring.

There was drama enough in my turbulent past:
Tears and passion - I’ve used up a tankful.
No news is good news, and long may it last.
If nothing much happens, I’m thankful.
A happier cabbage you never did see,
My vegetable spirits are soaring.
If you’re after excitement, steer well clear of me.
I want to go on being boring.

I don’t go to parties. Well, what are they for,
If you don’t need to find a new lover?
You drink and you listen and drink a bit more
And you take the next day to recover.
Someone to stay home with was all my desire
And, now that I’ve found a safe mooring,
I’ve just one ambition in life: I aspire
To go on and on being boring.

I like the sentiments expressed in this poem. I go in cycles of embracing boredom...and at times ...not.

here's a cover of a song by charley, "i wanna be a dalek". i was particularly drawn to this one because a. it's a brill song! and b. i love dr who. in his original vid, charley performs from inside the base unit of his lifesize dalek. sadly the only dalek i have is a tiny keyring one, which i think we can safely say is, in comparison, pretty boring :rock:

charley's awesome original is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4rxmhw1dRE

This seems like a good opportunity to try some Half Man Half Biscuit. Their topics for songs are certainly unconventional, and perhaps most of them will be utterly baffling to anyone without knowledge of lower league English football, 70s UK childrens TV, obsure TV presenters, or buying sandwiches at the garage in the middle of the night (among other things).

This one is hopefully comprehensible though! The way I see it, it's taking aim at the kind of music snob that tries so hard to be different that they all end up being the same.

I imagine there's a certain kind of uke purist who'd object to me using a strap, and possibly even playing an 8 string. Maybe I should have used a pick as well.

For the record, I am wearing as many as *two* socks here.

Well you dangled David Bowie in front of me Del and I've actually been learning Ashes to Ashes this week, but this is about being different so I'm going to play a song from a band that is so different from anyone else I've ever heard, Gogol Bordello.

Struggling through this gives me even more respect for the way Cazteclo (another truly unique seasonista) raps in a non-native language.

Apologies to any Russian speakers

Also got through this before realising I'd shot in portrait. Didn't have another take in me unfortunately

Here's a song about a guy, D.B. Cooper, who definitely was one of a kind. The information that I speak in the video is how I recall the story and there may well be some errors in what I said, but not major ones.

Top Bottom