Season 462 - Dare To Be Different - like Charley B

And here is one from your host.
This song is about somebody being pushed far enough to act completely but understandably out of character. It was released by Kenny Rogers in 1979 and inspired a film to be made about the story in the song, which also starred Kenny.
And yes - I am wearing a tin foil hat! :)

One that I recorded a couple of years ago from the late, great, Neil Innes, who never really got the recognition as a songwriter that he deserved

A couple of verses from a Spike Milligan poem that I put a little melody to
They say Spike was the inspiration for the Pythons, but before he was on TV
He Was a star on the radio show the goons together with Peter Sellers.

Here's one from Sia, who's always been a bit of an oddball in the female popstar sphere. She wrote a Christmas album a few years ago, this is the big single from it and I'm quite fond of it.

One of my early music collecting phases was the walls of sound produced by Phil Spector - aged about 13, I borrowed a compilation LP from the local library, and had to find more. Somewhere in my loft there is still a box of 45s on the Philles & London labels. And this is one of them.

If it hadn't been a hit for the Crystals as far back as '62, you would think it was written about a teenage Del...

Here's an old Riley Puckett song, Ragged But Right, that I learned in the sixties from a Greenbriar Boys LP. This was the title song.
The hero of this song qualifies as someone who "dares to be different".
Greenbriar ragged.jpg Riley Puckett 2.jpg
I usually use a 5-string banjer, but to remain eligible, I'm using a banjolele.
Jim & Banjolele.jpg Jim at lang.jpg

Last edited:
I have been procrastinating so hard today.

I usually dress in a boring jumper and trousers and comfortable shoes. Elton John, on the other hand, doesn't. So I think it's safe to say he fits in Del's category 4.

This is one I've been messing about with for a bit (I won't say "working on" because that's too strong a phrase for it, and it's not exactly work anyway). So I think it's a good time to have a crack at recording it.

Now to get on with the stuff I was supposed to be doing.

- Edwin

If it hadn't been a hit for the Crystals as far back as '62, you would think it was written about a teenage Del...

Haha! Reminds me of the time in my late teens when somebody told me I was prematurely middle-aged - and was rather surprised that I took it as a compliment! :D

Thanks for your efforts so far everyone - 16 fab songs on the playlist. I’d love to see a few more tin foil hats though! :)

Last edited:
quite possibly my most favourite ever song - a re-recording of one of the very first videos I ever made

Hey, Del! Hey, people!

Apologies for not being around for a while (thanks for the shout out and the love, Christopher...really appreciate it!).
The opportunity to don a tin foil hat has proved too strong a temptation and has dragged me out of my recent funk...

Along with the tin foil headware, I'm bringing a song by one of my heroes - Michael Hurley. In fact, it's the first song that I heard by him and I fell in love instantly. He certainly fits the bill, to my mind, of someone who has always gone his own way. If you're unfamiliar with his work then I wholeheartedly recommend you check him out...

Anyway, it feels good to be back. I've missed you all. X

Last edited:
Charlie B once covered this song, which I like.

Tried my new acoustic bass guitar on it. A bit too ambitions it seems, but it is a learning proces. Never played bass before it arrived last week.

Good evening, Del! I bring you a TIN FOIL HAT!!! Until I looked at the YouTube instructions for the manufacture thereof, I had absolutely no idea of the significance of this particular form of head gear ... in fact, I thought it had been invented by Charley! But, no, it is worn as protection against infiltration by aliens and all things nasty ... although, I am sure that, in Charley's case, it is just to keep his head warm! (This would have arrived much earlier today if we hadn't had a power cut, followed by an Internet which was functioning with all the celerity of a defective snail with a bad limp!) HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

It was either this, or Dare to Be Stupid. I decided to hew to more of the themes. I think this hits numbers 1, 3 and 4 of Del's list.

Thanks for hosting Del.

And Happy Holidays to all the Seasonistas and your families. I hope you can find some respite from this crazy year we've had.

Lots of great music and my wish for more tin foil hats was granted! Obviously Sir Charley had to go one better and don a tin foil helmet - oh what a knight! ;)
Great to see (and hear) Bob back in the fold - we’ve missed you mate! Thank you all - I’m a very happy host! :)

Ahoy and wellness to ya'll
I made a nice tin foil hat and then recorded this

Top Bottom