NUD: Kamaka HF-2 (special order)

Cluze

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Earlier in the week I posted about a rather unplanned NUD that was a consequence of a Black Friday sale I couldn't pass up. (A Kanile'a K-1 C.) Well, several days ago, I was pleasantly surprised when a planned ukulele purchase shipped to me much earlier than expected. There is a bit of a story behind it, but in case you are just here for some pretty pictures, I'll get those out of the way first.

i-NJfMkzk-L.jpg

Straight from their factory to my home comes a Kamaka HF-2 concert. But not just any HF-2. If you look closely, there is something different compared to a "normal" HF-2. This one has a tie-bar style bridge, rather than the normal slot style bridge on a typical Kamaka HF-2. And that bridge is where the story comes in.

i-rgV7Z93-L.jpg

One of my first really good ukes, and my first "K" brand, was Kamaka HF-2A (the centennial anniversary edition) that I found used at Elderly Instruments, in Lansing, MI. Elderly is my "local" shop, and I am blessed to have them so close. I had been wanting a Kamaka concert for a while, and I was terribly sad that I had come to the conclusion *after* Kamaka celebrated their anniversary and I had missed out on the special ones. Well, I started watching Elderly's site in the hopes that they would get a used one. Luckily for me, they eventually did, and she is an amazing uke.

There was only one problem; the normal Kamaka HF-2 (and the HF-2A's) have a slot style bridge, which I *hate*. I find them way too fiddly when changing strings. You have to get the knot small enough to fit in the hole, but big enough that it won't pull through the slot. Way too much of a pain for someone, like me, who loves to change strings relatively often. (Yes, I am one of *those* people...)

Well, the previous owner may have had issues with this too, and wasn't too careful about it, so two of the four slots were a bit chewed up, and I really had trouble getting the knot just right. Thankfully, Elderly has an amazing repair shop, so they were able to repair the slot bridge for me so it worked (and looked) as good as new. But... I still hated that slot bridge. I found I wasn't playing it as much because I didn't want to wear out the strings and have to change them. It is silly, I know, but it was a low-level source of anxiety for me.

Fast-forward several years of me being discontented with that slot bridge and I got to thinking. Kamaka makes a "deluxe" version of the HF-2, and that one *has* a tie-bar bridge. Now I didn't really want the deluxe, I wanted the rather less "blingy" HF-2, but I wanted the tie-bar bridge. I also didn't really want the *much* steeper price tag of the deluxe. But if they could use that bridge on the deluxe, I figured they could probably do it on the normal one, so I contacted customer service via email to find out if it could be done.

Quite a bit of time passed after that, and I hadn't heard back, so I kind of let it go. But several weeks later, I got a phone call rather out of the blue from Kamaka! The very nice lady I spoke to there said that yes, they could do this. They refer to these as "special order" (as opposed to a true "custom order." Those are made entirely by Chris, I believe, and they currently aren't taking those.) Basically they can mix and match standard options for an additional fee.

After a quick discussion with the wife, I decided to go for it. Based on their initial estimation it would take several months for it to be done, so I was estimating late January to early February would be about when it would arrive. Well, lo and behold I got a phone call last Monday saying it was done and they wanted to verify the shipping address. It shipped out that day and arrived on my doorstep two days later.

The pictures above don't really capture the full beauty of the wood, but the new instrument is lovely. The koa is a bit more plain than the HF-2A I have, but it still looks nice. Sound-wise, it sounds very very similar to the HF-2A that I own, so the bridge change didn't really alter the tonal characteristics much.

Now I find myself in an odd situation, with a terrible "first world problem." I have too many Kamakas (I know, such a terrible problem...), so look for the HF-2A to go up on the marketplace in the not too distant future. :) The HF-2A is a prettier set of wood, sounds amazing, and does hold a special place in my heart, but this new one is really mine. It was made just for me, exactly how I wanted it to be made, so it is the one that will stay.

Well, thanks for listening to me ramble about my new Kamaka.

Last edited:
Oh, and I know that I have said this countless times before, but I am done. My UAS is satiated. I don't need any more ukes! In the course of a week, I checked off the two remaining boxes; a Kanile'a and the Kamaka I always wanted. I won't say my UAS is cured as such, but that it is satisfied. It is managed.

I hope...

Wow, congratulations! That is a beauty. I love the understated elegance of Kamaka ukes, and it's really special that they made one just the way you wanted! :shaka:

That is amazing. Thank you for the post, the pics and the story. You cannot believe how jealous I am. A Kamaka concert is basically one of the two ukes I still desperately want and yours is exactly the one I would want with that tie bar bridge. I will have to settle on the slotted bridge or a deluxe model some day.

Congratulations!

Congrats, beautifil uke! I'd love to own a Kamaka concert someday, I really like the styling of the sail headstock. Another option for the bridge is to drill 4 tiny invisible holes inside the slots, to make it a string-thru. I prefer string-thru, with beads on the inside. Yes, it is also a bit fiddly, but simple once you've done it a couple of times. To me, standard tie-bar is fiddly too. One big string-thru benefit is less tension trying to pull the bridge off than either the tie-bar or slotted bridge.

I have a couple of ukes with the pull-through body style, and I do like those two. Basically my preference for bridges goes:
1. Tie bar
2. Through body
3. Anything else except slot
Some-Really-Big-Number-Later: Slot

Wonderful acquisition, Cluze! Congratulations!

For what it's worth, I too used to dislike the slotted bridges (such as that found on my Martin S-0), until I read about a neat (and easy) way to make the knot for each string as you're installing it. Rather than "stacking" knots by knotting the string multiple times (which results in a not-so-good result), the method I now use involves bringing the end of the string back through the "original" loop as many times as you need to, before you finally pull the whole bundle of loops together into ONE (larger) knot. Kind of hard to describe, sorry!

But anyway, congrats again on the new uke!

Oh, and I know that I have said this countless times before, but I am done. My UAS is satiated. I don't need any more ukes! In the course of a week, I checked off the two remaining boxes; a Kanile'a and the Kamaka I always wanted. I won't say my UAS is cured as such, but that it is satisfied. It is managed.

I hope...

Saying you are done buying ukulele is the kiss of death and the ultimate jinx :p

Beautiful Kamaka, congratulations

I'm curious as to the time needed to order one like this? I ask because we will eventually go to Hawaii, and my goal is to buy a Kamaka there (I already have KoAloha and Kanile'a taken care of). I'd love to bring back an HF-2, perhaps one just like this. And while I'm not against a slotted bridge, I can also be talked into a tie bar bridge if that means that I can have it waiting for me when I get there.

I'm curious as to the time needed to order one like this? I ask because we will eventually go to Hawaii, and my goal is to buy a Kamaka there (I already have KoAloha and Kanile'a taken care of). I'd love to bring back an HF-2, perhaps one just like this. And while I'm not against a slotted bridge, I can also be talked into a tie bar bridge if that means that I can have it waiting for me when I get there.

It took a bit of time to actually make contact with them, but I was doing so via their "contact" form on the website, and I think the person in charge of replying to that was on vacation when I did.

Once I made actual contact (they called me), I place the order that same day, on November 2nd, and gave them a deposit. They said at the time that it would likely be 2-3 months. It was actually done and ready for final payment and shipping on December 14th, so it only ended up taking about a month and half. I think the actual time may vary considerably depending on how busy they are and what else they have going on.

Now that's my dream HF2. I love my HF2, but absolutely detest the slot bridge. But, I can't see paying twice as much to move up to the deluxe version, just to get rid of the slot bridge. But your special order HF2 sounds perfect.

Mine sounds great, though, so I guess I'll just suffer through the string changes. Ah, the suffering of owning a really nice ukulele. LOL. (As my feelings of guilt kick in, I'll mention that instead of gifts, I asked that people donate to the food bank or animal rescue for both my birthday and Christmas this year. Whew, now I don't feel as guilty about complaining about my HF2.)

I plan on trying Bill's suggestion on how to tie the knots next time I change the strings. Thanks for posting that.

Top Bottom