8 string players here.

MJB

Reaction score
Your experiences? Do you play it a lot compared to your 4 string ukes? Any regrets?

I have a couple of 8 stringers. Sometimes I play them a lot, sometimes I don't.

They are harder to play (double the string pressure) and harder to tune (twice the strings) but when in tune they sound glorious. You're prepared to make compromises to get the double string sound, or your not.

Last edited:
Your experiences? Do you play it a lot compared to your 4 string ukes? Any regrets?

I play four strings more than five, six, or eight. I have more 4-string ukes than multiples, so that makes sense. More strings sound better, but I like to play different ukes, so I rotate them. It's always a surprise to hear ukes with more strings - a pleasant surprise.

I had an Ohana Taropatch, concert size, all solid mahogany, it was really nice, sounded great, but I played my Kanile'a more, so I sold it. You can get the 8-string sound on a 4-string by strumming with 2 fingers.

I had a Pono M/T 8 string that I bought from HMS. It was fun to play and it carried it self when playing with a guitar, meaning it was plenty loud. But, I did find that some songs that I play, it did not fit the bill. My 4 string sounded better. For me the 8 string was a strummer, not a picker of individual notes.
To keep my interest peaked with the 8 string, I looked at the iconic songs that were played on 12 string guitars. Those songs played great on the 8 string. Eventually,
the 8 string novelty wore off because it was not getting as much play time as I thought it would.
I ended up selling it.

I have an Oscar Schmitt ou2t8. Big regret is that I cheaped out and didn't spend the extra $ 12 for the electronics. Use it mostly for chords (strumming). I have told myself that if I picked it a lot my 4 string picking would get better. I think Tamaine plays an 8 string. Play the four atring more than anything.

I have an Oscar Schmitt ou2t8. Big regret is that I cheaped out and didn't spend the extra $ 12 for the electronics. Use it mostly for chords (strumming). I have told myself that if I picked it a lot my 4 string picking would get better. I think Tamaine plays an 8 string. Play the four atring more than anything.

With the OscarSchmidt I did the same, but later installed a pickup and tuner myself. It's probably the best-bargain 8 string on the market. I use it for about everything. It's been in the stable for several years. It gets about 50% of the uke playing time.

I had an Ohana Taropatch, concert size, all solid mahogany, it was really nice, sounded great, but I played my Kanile'a more, so I sold it. You can get the 8-string sound on a 4-string by strumming with 2 fingers.

Never thought about strumming with 2 fingers. I suppose it would work fine for emulating unison string pairs.

I have a cheap Kmise 8 string tenor that I find just glorious to play. Interestingly, I don't play it like a ukulele at all, really. It seems really well suited more for old timey tiple-ish kind of playing. Also unusually, it seems to pay quite well tuned down to DGBE, same as guitar high 4 strings. Which also helps, as the Kmise is rather lightly built with a bridge that's somewhat tenuously affixed to the soundboard (long story). There's no way to emulate its sound with technique, as the unison and octave strings sound completely different from a 4 string. With its low tuning, it's almost 12 string guitar-ish sounding.

Under the influence of Covid lockdown, peer pressure and Mim's Kala closeout, I bought a cedar-top 8-string tenor. The G and C courses are octave pairs. This thing is a sound cannon. Cantankerous, beautiful, and difficult to handle. We have spent many interesting hours together. Sometimes we are locked in fierce dominance battles over issues such as a clean Bb chord. Other times we make beautiful music. My goal is to get better at predicting which it's gonna be.

I expected to use this mainly for fingerpicked chords to accompany vocals, and it is lovely. Except when it isn't. Sometimes there are, as the Emperor of Austria says in Amadeus, too many notes. Sometimes the uke sounds fine on its own, but I can't get my voice to blend. I was working on two folksongs in the key of G -- Dylan's Tomorrow is a Long Time and Tom Paxton's Last Thing on My Mind -- and we sounded great on Paxton and terrible on Dylan. Why? I have no idea.

I tried playing blues and it was too jangly. Except Mississippi John Hurt songs, which it was born to play. I was sure jazz chords in the Great American Songbook would sound dreadful and they do -- unless I strum lightly with the pads (no nails) of my fingers, in which case it sounds wonderful. Rock and country, well if it plays on a 12-string guitar then it's good on the 8-string. Lead guitar riffs and chord/melody? Probably not. If you want to hear individual notes, those octave strings will distract from the melody.

The upshot is, I would never consider an 8-string to be an all-purpose ukulele. IMHO it is a niche instrument -- and exactly which niche is something you will spend some time figuring out. You might need to experiment with different playing styles to make it work. I don't regret the Kala for a moment, it's fun having a uke I can argue with! But I wouldn't suggest anybody buy an 8-string until you've already found your best-buddy 4-string uke.

The first uke I owned was a Kala 8-string tenor. I fell in love with the instrument, but I couldn’t play barre chords at all. I sold it to a friend who wanted something to replace his guitar, which he could no longer play. He loves it. I’ve been tempted by the Ohana taro patch because I play barred chords all the time now and it’s concert scale. Probably will continue resisting, but you never know. Love the jangly sound of the doubled strings.

I have an 8 stringer, but have adapted it to a six stringer. I found the 8 string too jangly. But as a six stringer, its just right (like Goldilock's porridge). That said, I have it tuned a little differently: Hi D, Low D; Hi G, Low,low G (I use a Guadalupe string that plays an octave lower); B; E.

I've posted this before, so please excuse if this is old news. You can go here for more info and a sound clip: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?147545-Bari-Different&highlight=bari+different

Not an eight, but I have a six-string Lanikai (octave C and A courses, single G and E strings), and I would echo the sentiment of others above. It’s fun to strum, but it certainly doesn’t replace a four string uke. Personally, I don’t feel that it’s any harder to fret, but I also have pretty tough fingers from playing steel string instruments.

The six has a bigger sound (obviously, more strings) and a fuller sound with the low A adding bottom end. It’s what I would use if I needed a uke to hold its own against a band; mine also happens to be A/E. It is definitely more of a strummer than a picker. The thing is, I barely play with other musicians anymore, especially this year.

So to answer your question, the sixer is kind of a novelty to me, and it’s the four that I pick up when I just want to play around. The four sounds more traditional, is easier to tune, and takes picking or strumming equally well. Although it has been a fun for variety, I will probably look to sell or trade the six in the near future.

I forgot to answer the op question . . . sorry. Yes, I play it a ton. It's my go to uke. However, here's what I do, I will first try a piece on a 4 stringer, usually a tenor. Then move to the 8 string. I've found its easier to pick out the "bits" on a 4 stringer. I'm a picker not a strummer and play mostly by ear. So if I'm learning a piece, its very helpful for me to hear it being played. Then once I've got the basic fingering patterns, I move it to the 8 string.

I've found the 8 stringer, especially the way I have it tuned, just adds so much more depth than a 4 stringer. That said, I will admit there are some pieces that the 8 stringer doesn't do as well. But the more I play around on the 8 stringer, the fewer those pieces are.

I also forgot to mention I have not played an 8 string tenor - my experience is all on 8 stringed baritones. And I've only played two of those - a Kala Cedar top (really nice for the money) and a reworked 1960 Harmony (absolutely wonderful).

Top Bottom