Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What case for pono pineapple concert uke?

Question What case for pono pineapple concert uke?

I just bought my first uke and am now on the hunt for a solid (strongwise) case. I found an ohana solid pineapple case for $100 but am hoping to spend a little less.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by soulhorizon; 12-20-2020 at 08:23 AM.

I bought the Ohana pineapple case from UkeRepublic when I bought my Ohana pineapple tenor - the cases are on sale at the moment. It does the job and is a perfect fit but you wouldn't know it's Ohana as there's no branding on the case itself. Considering the price of the uke, it's probably a bit too much but I've not been able to find a tenor pineapple case elsewhere.

Going forward, I may look into making my own hard cases for my pineapples (I have another on order and am looking for a third). Before I do so, I'm buying a Kala UC-T case and will see if I can modify the padding to better fit a pineapple.

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    I bought the Ohana pineapple case from UkeRepublic when I bought my Ohana pineapple tenor - the cases are on sale at the moment. It does the job and is a perfect fit but you wouldn't know it's Ohana as there's no branding on the case itself. Considering the price of the uke, it's probably a bit too much but I've not been able to find a tenor pineapple case elsewhere.

Going forward, I may look into making my own hard cases for my pineapples (I have another on order and am looking for a third). Before I do so, I'm buying a Kala UC-T case and will see if I can modify the padding to better fit a pineapple.
    Hi Siv, I ended up also purchasing an Ohana Pineapple hard case... concert size. I am very disappointed. The quality is poor. Concerned that buckles might open... and the handle is a cheap feeling plastic. The biggest disappointing factor is it’s stench. Even my Pono stinks for over 30 minutes after taking it out of the case. I’ve aired it out for a few weeks...UkeRepublic was very helpful pre purchase but once I spoke of returning Mike hasn’t replied to my emails.
    How do you like your Ohana pineapple hard case?

I too researched DIY hard cases but am leaning towards buying the Kala Transit Series Gig Bag. I’m curious to learn how your Kala hard case works for you. Please keep me posted.

Thanks!

SH, perhaps I have lower standards but my Ohana case seems OK for my purposes. It doesn't smell and I'm sure that if it did, I would be disappointed. The handle is very plastic but the case plus instrument is so light, it's not really a concern. I wouldn't check it on a flight but for transport in the car etc, it'll do the job. My main desire was fit and it's a perfect fit for my uke.

After watching a few YouTube videos, I think I'm gonna make a few rectangular cases. I don't like the instrument shaped case as it doesn't securely stand up vertically. And I wouldn't feel confident stacking something on top of the case. I have plenty of plywood at home so it wouldn't take long to make a few cases. I have a tiny tenor on the way and I think it deserves a good case.

Good luck with making the cases. If you get the chance, send pics of them. Enjoy the process!

have you checked with Pono or The Ukulele Site?
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Hawaii 50, Currently, Pono has limited cases on their site as does The Ukulele Site. Factory output and getting items into the USA has slowed down since pandemic began. I’ve spoken with several stores who are uncertain when their ordered products will arrive.
    I will contact The Ukulele Site to see if they have any further suggestions. For now, a bowl of baking soda in Ohana pineapple case is helping to dissipate a little of the smell...
    Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by soulhorizon View Post
    Hawaii 50, Currently, Pono has limited cases on their site as does The Ukulele Site. Factory output and getting items into the USA has slowed down since pandemic began. I’ve spoken with several stores who are uncertain when their ordered products will arrive.
    I will contact The Ukulele Site to see if they have any further suggestions. For now, a bowl of baking soda in Ohana pineapple case is helping to dissipate a little of the smell...
    Thanks for your input.
    The Ukulele Site should be able to help try talking to Corey..btw Pono designed and owned by them, if there is no specific pineapple case he should be able to let you know which one has the best fit...

smell from cases?? not good....
    Last edited by hawaii 50; 01-22-2021 at 07:22 AM.
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

The Kala transit case is by far my favorite case. You can get an iPad in the front pocket. It’s no bulkier than a gig bag and nearly as protective as a hard case. Easy to carry. And a great price.

Thanks Ziret, for confirming what I’d hoped!

Thread Information