What case for pono pineapple concert uke?

soulhorizon

Reaction score
I just bought my first uke and am now on the hunt for a solid (strongwise) case. I found an ohana solid pineapple case for $100 but am hoping to spend a little less.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
I bought the Ohana pineapple case from UkeRepublic when I bought my Ohana pineapple tenor - the cases are on sale at the moment. It does the job and is a perfect fit but you wouldn't know it's Ohana as there's no branding on the case itself. Considering the price of the uke, it's probably a bit too much but I've not been able to find a tenor pineapple case elsewhere.

Going forward, I may look into making my own hard cases for my pineapples (I have another on order and am looking for a third). Before I do so, I'm buying a Kala UC-T case and will see if I can modify the padding to better fit a pineapple.

I bought the Ohana pineapple case from UkeRepublic when I bought my Ohana pineapple tenor - the cases are on sale at the moment. It does the job and is a perfect fit but you wouldn't know it's Ohana as there's no branding on the case itself. Considering the price of the uke, it's probably a bit too much but I've not been able to find a tenor pineapple case elsewhere.

Going forward, I may look into making my own hard cases for my pineapples (I have another on order and am looking for a third). Before I do so, I'm buying a Kala UC-T case and will see if I can modify the padding to better fit a pineapple.

Hi Siv, I ended up also purchasing an Ohana Pineapple hard case... concert size. I am very disappointed. The quality is poor. Concerned that buckles might open... and the handle is a cheap feeling plastic. The biggest disappointing factor is it’s stench. Even my Pono stinks for over 30 minutes after taking it out of the case. I’ve aired it out for a few weeks...UkeRepublic was very helpful pre purchase but once I spoke of returning Mike hasn’t replied to my emails.
How do you like your Ohana pineapple hard case?

I too researched DIY hard cases but am leaning towards buying the Kala Transit Series Gig Bag. I’m curious to learn how your Kala hard case works for you. Please keep me posted.

Thanks!

SH, perhaps I have lower standards but my Ohana case seems OK for my purposes. It doesn't smell and I'm sure that if it did, I would be disappointed. The handle is very plastic but the case plus instrument is so light, it's not really a concern. I wouldn't check it on a flight but for transport in the car etc, it'll do the job. My main desire was fit and it's a perfect fit for my uke.

After watching a few YouTube videos, I think I'm gonna make a few rectangular cases. I don't like the instrument shaped case as it doesn't securely stand up vertically. And I wouldn't feel confident stacking something on top of the case. I have plenty of plywood at home so it wouldn't take long to make a few cases. I have a tiny tenor on the way and I think it deserves a good case.

Good luck with making the cases. If you get the chance, send pics of them. Enjoy the process!

have you checked with Pono or The Ukulele Site?

Hawaii 50, Currently, Pono has limited cases on their site as does The Ukulele Site. Factory output and getting items into the USA has slowed down since pandemic began. I’ve spoken with several stores who are uncertain when their ordered products will arrive.
I will contact The Ukulele Site to see if they have any further suggestions. For now, a bowl of baking soda in Ohana pineapple case is helping to dissipate a little of the smell...
Thanks for your input.

Hawaii 50, Currently, Pono has limited cases on their site as does The Ukulele Site. Factory output and getting items into the USA has slowed down since pandemic began. I’ve spoken with several stores who are uncertain when their ordered products will arrive.
I will contact The Ukulele Site to see if they have any further suggestions. For now, a bowl of baking soda in Ohana pineapple case is helping to dissipate a little of the smell...
Thanks for your input.

The Ukulele Site should be able to help try talking to Corey..btw Pono designed and owned by them, if there is no specific pineapple case he should be able to let you know which one has the best fit...

smell from cases?? not good....:)

Last edited:
The Kala transit case is by far my favorite case. You can get an iPad in the front pocket. It’s no bulkier than a gig bag and nearly as protective as a hard case. Easy to carry. And a great price.

My Kala tenor foam hardcase arrived today. It's fine for the price, the sides are hard etc, plastic handle and it has a big zippered pocket on the top. The interior padding seems to be quite stiff and is in the hourglass shape so not ideal for pineapples!

My Ohana tenor pineapple doesn't fit and I'd likely have to unscrew the case sides to get inside and cut away some of the foam. The build quality seems reasonable at first glance.
50864813442_5b1681fffd_c.jpg

My Tiny Tenor also arrived today and it fits in the case fine but, of course, now there it a little too much room. I'm not sure if a concert case would suit it better but I think I'll do the DIY route for this guy.
50864813912_2a214d28bf_c.jpg

My Kala tenor foam hardcase arrived today. It's fine for the price, the sides are hard etc, plastic handle and it has a big zippered pocket on the top. The interior padding seems to be quite stiff and is in the hourglass shape so not ideal for pineapples!

My Ohana tenor pineapple doesn't fit and I'd likely have to unscrew the case sides to get inside and cut away some of the foam. The build quality seems reasonable at first glance.

My Tiny Tenor also arrived today and it fits in the case fine but, of course, now there it a little too much room. I'm not sure if a concert case would suit it better but I think I'll do the DIY route for this guy.

I'm sorry that didn't work for you. The Kala Transit case is quite different, though, and fits a pineapple.

Thanks for sharing your pics and keeping us posted. Gearlux makes one like that specifically for pineapples.
I’m leaning towards selling my Ohana concert pineapple hard case and buying a Kala concert transit gig bag.
Congrats on your new ukes, Siv!

Top Bottom