Roberts B16 Baritone Laotian Black & White Ebony

Mark Roberts Ukuleles

Reaction score
Black & White Laotian Pale Moon Ebony, Diospyros malabarica (syn. Diospyros embryopteris, D. peregrina). Rare specie of wood, and not like other Ebonies. A more midrange Janka hardness in the range of Bastogne Walnut, Zebrawood, and Ovankol.
European Carpathian Spruce sound board. Figured Oregon Big Leaf Maple neck, with Malagasy Ebony stringer. B+W Ebony ebony on back of neck, headstock and heel cap veneers. Malagasy Ebony binding, w/ Figured Maple purflings. Mi-Si / LR Baggs underside pickup.

"Mark Roberts is more than a luthier. He is a creative, a designer, an artist, and a student of acoustics. His skill in each area is revealed in the exceptional detail applied to his ukuleles. Speak with him and you'll appreciate his knowledge and passion for the merging of form and function. Mark's appreciation and respect for Nature and science informs his creations, inevitably enhancing the player's experience.
The neck and compound radius fretboard make the instrument a joy to play. It is pitch perfect up and down the fretboard. Where the ukulele really shines is in the balanced tonal range perfect for jazz and exploiting a musician's use of dynamics. The design features pay off in ample volume and wonderful lingering sustain. You can tell this was built to breathe and vibrate. You can feel it in your hands and through your chest, improving the musical and emotional connection between musician and instrument.
This is one of the best musical instruments I've ever had the pleasure to play. I'm lucky to have found it and Mark's work."

Tim Hanke

IMG_7633.jpg
IMG_7631.jpg
IMG_7633.jpg
eZy Watermark_20-12-2020_07-45-55PM.jpg

Just beautiful. What a work of art. Wow. Thanks for sharing.

I am just learning Baritone uke - bass player originally here - this is THE most beautiful uke i have ever seen - maybe even the best looking instrument - (and i have some outstanding bass gear) - so KUDOS! IF this ever becomes available - please try to hunt me down on the talkbass forums ;)

What a beautiful ukulele! Thanks!

Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
I don't think the client that ordered the build will want to give it up.
As always, you are welcome to contact me for the a discussion about a bespoke instrument that best satisfies your ears and playing style.

Gorgeous!

Would you provide a rough idea of the price? I understand that custom builds can vary greatly.

Thanks!

Top Bottom