View Poll Results: Which ukulele do you recommend?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ohana CK-35G

5 50.00%
  • Kala KA-SMHC

1 10.00%
  • Pono MCD

4 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohana CK35GS / Kala KA-SHMC / Pono MCD Deluxe Ukulele - Which would you recommend?

Question Ohana CK35GS / Kala KA-SHMC / Pono MCD Deluxe Ukulele - Which would you recommend?

Hi Guys

Please can you give me some advice on which of the following I should buy?

Ohana CK35GS
    Kala KA-SHMC
    Pono MCD Deluxe Ukulele

My first uke was a Kala KA-C which I've loved but I've really outgrown it. I've viewed a ton of ukulele videos and narrowed my choices to the above 3.

I'm looking for a lightweight ukulele and I have small hands. I really want something I will keep for a long time and not have to upgrade for a few years. I want something that will grow with me as I become more experienced with the ukulele.

Thanks for your help :-) I would go into the shops and try them out but what with the UK and Covid, this is impossible right now.

All are fine choices but I voted for the Pono because it has an edge in build quality and consistency and it will take a while to out grow. (Most of us won't out grow a Pono.)
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

The Pono is a solid uke but if you have small hands it may not be the best choice. I sold mine and bought a Opio spruce top. If you can afford the $561, you won't regret it.

I voted for the Ohana. I own 3 Ohanas and I love them all. I was actually going to buy this particular model but then my conscience started telling me that if I were going to add yet another uke to my collection then I should probably get something more different than what I already own. I love the look of it and I'm pretty sure that it would sound great.

The Kala, the tortoise shell binding would be a deal breaker for me. I really don't like the look and it would bug me.

The Pono, I had a Pono and never bonded with it. The sound is good but it's a heavy uke and I think it's kind of plain looking. If I'm paying that much for a uke, I want it to be a bit of a looker too.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

I used to own the tenor version of the Ohana model you are considering. A pretty instrument, with a lovely sound. I have small hands, but found the Ohana neck to be quite comfortable. The only reason I sold it is because the tenor scale was too much of a stretch for my arthritic hands. But the concert scale version shouldn’t be a problem for your hands, if you liked your Kala.
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

I own 3 Ohana solid mahogany ukes, SK30M/SK30L/CK35L, they have a great tone, so are amongst my favourites.

My best uke is a KoAloha Opio solid acacia tenor necked concert, it has a fairly similar tone, but a little brighter with more punch, but costs at least twice as much as my Ohana CK35L.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I cannot speak to the Pono, other than it is in a different price range as the others. I have an Ohana CK-35S (same instrument but matte finish, actually have had several) and recently purchased and sold an SMHC. For the examples that I have/had, the Ohana was a bit lighter by about 40-50 gm; maybe due in part to the closed-gear tuners (I prefer the open-gear Grovers on the Ohana, BTW). Even though the difference wasn’t much, I was a bit surprised by how heavy the SMHC initially felt. The Ohana has a slightly thinner neck, while the SMHC has a typical C shape that might feel fat in hand to some. The Ohana top and back are one piece and sometimes you get curving or diagonal grains, whereas the SMHC is bookmatched. The satin finish of the SMHC has a bit of gloss to it and is not grain-filled. That said, the SMHC sounded a bit better to my ears straight out of the box, but both are good. Hopefully those points can help with your decision. As alluded to previously, I kept the Ohana and sold the SMHC, so you see where my preference lies. You might want to branch out and try a different brand or you might want to stick with Kala.

I'm curious about how you picked the 3 ukuleles on your list as opposed to other popular moderately-priced step-up ukulele brands like Opio, Martin, Romero, or Anuenue?

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    All are fine choices but I voted for the Pono because it has an edge in build quality and consistency and it will take a while to out grow. (Most of us won't out grow a Pono.)
    Thank you! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by oahugrl View Post
    The Pono is a solid uke but if you have small hands it may not be the best choice. I sold mine and bought a Opio spruce top. If you can afford the $561, you won't regret it.
    I haven't heard of that brand before - thank you for the recommendation! I'm definitely going to look it up :-)

Thread Information