Cocobolo Strings

shanmoon

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've got two Cocobolo ukes. I was lucky enough to "win" the lottery for a beautiful tenor earlier this year, and then again a few months ago, for a custom 5-string tenor.

I really love the sound of both of them...but...it seems like the they have very high tension strings. The sound is beautiful and bright, but I have a hard time with high tension strings due to weak hands from nerve damage in a hangliding accident years ago. I just can't manage to play either for very long without a lot of pain.

I'm looking for some suggestions on strings that might have a similiar sound without being high tension. I was thinking of trying some of the low tension uke logic strings, but am open to other suggestions.

I like the low tension of Aquila Reds. They might be worth a try.

Cocobolo use Worth Brown strings as stock. I don't think they're a particularly high tension string and, in fact, to me they feel lower tension than most clear fluorocarbon strings. But I'm guessing you want even lower tension. Worth themselves do low tension string sets but unfortunately not for tenor scale. Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to try some soprano or concert scale strings on your tenor. The low tension Worth strings (CL for clear fluorocarbon and BL for brown fluorocarbon) are also meant for soprano/concert scale so you could try those as well but personally I'd be concerned that they'd snap on a tenor scale instrument since those strings are so thin. The regular tension soprano/concert Worth strings (CM and BM) would be my suggestions, although of course you can try both.

The Uke Logic low tension strings felt very similar to other regular tension strings on my soprano but since the string sets are meant for all scales (soprano/concert/tenor) they might be lower tension on a tenor. Definitely worth a try as well.

I would also try the Uke Logic low tension. I use them on my Kanile'a, which had fairly high tension when I got it.

Most concert size strings will produce lower tension on a tenor uke.

Last edited:
I've got two Cocobolo ukes. I was lucky enough to "win" the lottery for a beautiful tenor earlier this year, and then again a few months ago, for a custom 5-string tenor.

I really love the sound of both of them...but...it seems like the they have very high tension strings. The sound is beautiful and bright, but I have a hard time with high tension strings due to weak hands from nerve damage in a hangliding accident years ago. I just can't manage to play either for very long without a lot of pain.

I'm looking for some suggestions on strings that might have a similiar sound without being high tension. I was thinking of trying some of the low tension uke logic strings, but am open to other suggestions.
If they are worth browns then you might want to get the action lowered. Cocobolo sound great but their end fit and finish and setup are not what you would get high end luthier built ukes. I think you should pick strings based on sound and adjust the action based what is comfortable to you.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will try the uke logics then maybe get the action checked. It did seem odd to me that Worth Browns (at least that is what I assume they are) would be so high tension. I've got some worth browns on my beater Kala tenor, and they are very low tension by comparison.....so maybe the strings on the Cocobolo just happen to be brown but aren't Worth Browns.

Maybe it just seems higher tension because of the 5 strings instead of 4?

Worth's come in several varieties so it's possible they used a different set than what it is on your Kala.
http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

You can always tune down a half step or two to get lower tension.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will try the uke logics then maybe get the action checked. It did seem odd to me that Worth Browns (at least that is what I assume they are) would be so high tension. I've got some worth browns on my beater Kala tenor, and they are very low tension by comparison.....so maybe the strings on the Cocobolo just happen to be brown but aren't Worth Browns.

Cocobolo definitely ships with real Worth Browns.

Not sure if they're hugely different from the Browns but I'd definitely check out the Uke Logic Soft Tension strings.

Maybe it just seems higher tension because of the 5 strings instead of 4?

Worth's come in several varieties so it's possible they used a different set than what it is on your Kala.
http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

its actually very high temsion on both. i did see that worth sells some high tension strings. i pulled put a digitsl caliber and noticed that the string diametrs on both cocobolos was the same (except of course the extra string on the 5 string)... and that they were different than those on my kala...

Strange. I'm not sure how Worth gets their higher tension. It's also possible they have a different formulation instead of just thicker strings. (*shrug*)

Anyway, sounds like you just need to try something else. Living Water makes a 5 string set that would be worth trying. My 5 string has a "custom" set since it has a true 5th course - not doubled like yours - but I don't find it to be high tension and the top 4 are the standard low G set so maybe that would work for you.

Top Bottom