Over the Rainbow, or over the top?

I love it! The back illustration is amazing. And the back of the neck is perfect.

Attachments

• 7B5C56EC-16B3-4920-B38F-CD2073B512A5.jpg
    7B5C56EC-16B3-4920-B38F-CD2073B512A5.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I love it too. A work of art.

The back of the neck is the only thing I don't like. It just looks like it was scrawled over that beautiful flame with a marker.

Last edited:
Well I do agree with the artistry-inlay-craftsmanship. I do find it a bit gaudy, over the top. I wonder how is sounds and plays. Not really my thing but it will be for somebody. Collectors--art fans--OZ fans and others. I'll ask my buddy in SoCal. about Oak Creek Guitars. Price is wow, outta my range.....glad I'm not interested in it. Some collector will be happy.

Yes, very much a collectors item rather than a serious musical instrument. Hideous.

I've seen ads for Glowforge (a laser cutter) that this builder uses to cut his inlays. He is in one of the ads for the product that shows on Facebook. While the inlays look cool, I'm not a fan of the screwed on bridge with what appears to be a glob of glue showing on the bottom side of it. Definitely something for a Wizard of Oz fan rather than someone looking for a high end instrument.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201223-101706_Reverb.jpg
    Screenshot_20201223-101706_Reverb.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 38
what did they do in the front? I thought the back was "original" but then saw the front and ugh!

and for that price, it better does some magic with your playing skills!

Eugenio

I think it's pretty well done. Mixed media. Inlays, paint, dye, ink, etc.

The back of the neck it supposed to mimic the smoke sky-writing the witch does on her broom. The front is dyed emerald green. But does look like water. I like the ruby slipper red sparkling "Pufling?", "Binding?" on the back. Black & White (Sepia) for Kansas on the back. Color on the front for OZ. Excellent concept. Very good execution.

I like it a lot.

I'm not a fan of overly-decorated instruments, but the first thing that struck my eye was those two big, ugly Phillips screw heads holding down the bridge. With all the inlay and artwork that went into this, don't you think the builder could have at least covered them with a plug, or better yet, glue the bridge down like most other ukes?

I think the previous commenters are correct; this is an instrument for a Wiz of Oz collector and not for a player.

I've seen ads for Glowforge (a laser cutter) that this builder uses to cut his inlays. He is in one of the ads for the product that shows on Facebook. While the inlays look cool, I'm not a fan of the screwed on bridge with what appears to be a glob of glue showing on the bottom side of it. Definitely something for a Wizard of Oz fan rather than someone looking for a high end instrument.

It's kinda mind boggling to me that someone would put all that work into making an instrument like that for that price only to put the bridge on that way and leave that glue squeeze out on there. I would find that unacceptable on an instrument 1/20th of the price.

I do like the back a lot. The front is cool but a bit much for my tastes. The inlays look well done. But frankly that bridge is inexcusable.

The back is incredible, but the front is hideous and overdone, imo. And I'm a fan of bling. That bridge is unacceptable, with the screws and glue blob. It seems strange that the level of craftmanship would vary so much.

I'm not a fan of overly-decorated instruments, but the first thing that struck my eye was those two big, ugly Phillips screw heads holding down the bridge. With all the inlay and artwork that went into this, don't you think the builder could have at least covered them with a plug, or better yet, glue the bridge down like most other ukes?

I think the previous commenters are correct; this is an instrument for a Wiz of Oz collector and not for a player.

Yes, it is a contradiction. I like the back and the fretboard, but what happened with the front - and the glue? At that price? A plain Koa front would have been better.

I like it, as it's a really cool one of a kind. Wouldnt buy it myself because i am a traditionalist when it comes to the uke look. Wonder how it sounds? wonder if there is a sound sample somewhere over the...Youtube! :p

Not to be harsh, but I find it garish and tacky.

And if you were to be harsh? ;)

ROFL......I think perhaps my true feelings colored my tact..... Perhaps I a more polite way would have been to say, I don't care for it, although I appreciate all the time and energy it took to attend to those highly elaborate details. But, that would have stretched the limits of veracity. :)

Top Bottom