New Player & Member

mnuk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information on this board, I have only been looking at it for a few weeks. I recently purchased a Sears Supertone Ukulele from a friend. This actually my first instrument I have ever played so I am guessing it will take some work.

I will definitely continue to read on here, thanks for the help!

I had a picture on here of it I will post again.

Last edited:
Welcome to UU,

If the neck is not bowed or twisted and intonation is good, there is no reason this uke will not work for you. If you play any open string, then play the 12th fret of that same string, the notes should sound the same except for being one octave apart. If you have a good ear, you will hear any difference. You can also use a tuner which you will want anyway if you don't have one already.

If the intonation is off up high but doesn't seem to be bothersome halfway up the fretboard, this will still be good for learning.

My first stringed instrument was a Sears and Roebuck Silvertone guitar so I am partial to the old catalog instruments.

Last edited:
Uh, welcome? ........

Welcome to the forums.

Sorry about that, I had deleted the message and didn’t catch it until now.

So I am starting out with the Sears Supertone which looks to be from the 1920's from what I have read. Would you say this is an average ukulele, or would the ones from this time be pretty nice compared to something new I could get? Or maybe a better question would be how much would I have to spend to get an equivalent one today? I got a pretty good deal on this one, but I am starting to wonder if I should get a cheap new one since it might be a better quality.

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom